hornby select programming track

cal646

hi all after a rummage in the shed i found my self an old car switch with 2 settings excellent i thought i can make a programming track,so i followed the diagramme in the book pg22 and nothing happens and it looks wrong to me or am i missing some sort of super power abtained by using a hornby switch??to me it looks wrong on the diagramme it shows the positive feed on test track going into the negative of the select which seems very wrong or i am i missing the trick at the switch wiring the switch i have has 3 pins common,posistion1 and posistion2 can someone point out were im going wrong thank you

You need a DPDT switch - double pole double throw, not an on/off switch. Essentially it can be either an on/on or an on/off/on type. The latter being preferred asit gives a safe off between on switchings.

That means you take both pos & neg into the centre pair of 6 contacts and output to either the main track pair or prog track pair.

There is a little confusion in these posts. We are talking Select which has only one output which is used for both programming and running. The suggestion on page 22 for a programming track switches only one of the track outputs to either the main track or the programming track and leaves the other permanently connected to both. So all you need is an SPDT switch, which sounds just like the one cal says he has. 

So cal, if you follow the diagram, the only trick with the switch is that it's common connector must be wired to one of the Select track outputs, A or B it doesn't matter which. Then one of positions 1 and 2 goes to your programming track and the other to your main track. For simplicity and to avoid confusing yourself, make both of these track connections to the left rail. 

Assuming you are switching  output A this way, then you must wire B to the right rail of both programming track and the main track.  The diagram does this by first connecting to the programming track, then running a wire from this power track connector on to the main track. 

There are no super powers involved. But you must make sure the common goes back to the Select, and outputs 1 and 2 to one each of the programming and main tracks. 

The diagram for the programming track in the original Select operators manual was wrong. Later versions included an amendment sheet showing the correct wiring.

On the incorrect diagram the white wire from the Select to the power track and the brown wire from the R046 switch to the power clip are shown reversed.  The correct drawing on the amendment sheet shows the white wire connected to the left hand terminal of the power track connector and the brown wire connected to the right hand terminal.  All other wiring is correct.

Archived