Newbie question -- adding point controls

Hello,

good evening everyone and sorry for the stupid question. I cannot find documentation on how to connect point controls (turnout motors, signals and so on) to the combination elink + railmaster. Can someone point me to the documentation? Is it necessary to use a separate controller (that, if I understand correctly can handle only four point actuators at a time) or these can be connected directly to elink? Thanks again and best regards, 

Hi Federico,

You need to buy some accessory decoders - Hornby make R8247, each of which can control four ports. Each port is suitable for one point motor (or two if you have a pair of points which you want to change together). There are other accessory decoders available and usable with Railmaster and Elink, and there are lots of posts in this forum which will give you information about them.

Ray

Yes, you would need 5 x R8247's and yes other decoders are compatible. If you go that route, make sure you understand how to programme them before purchase as they can be different. A search on here is a good reference. You can also get 8 point versions from other suppliers.

Whilst you are waiting for Hornby to get more stock of R8247's (latest estimate October 2014) I have used the "Tawcrafts decoder". Needs an external power supply but works really really well - provides strong and reliable point switching! They will also programme them for you before dispatch, which is what I also recommend, then you just wire them up and away you go. Easy!?!?

Frederico, Ray answered your question above - it is yes. In general, all DCC equipment will work with all other DCC equipment as it is all made to the same NMRA specification. 

Other brands you can buy, and which are extensively covered in the forums, include DCC Concepts, Kato and Traintronics. Do a search on any of those names and you'll get lots of info. 

I used Tawcrafts point decoders, great service and thegy come pre programmed as well, just connect powe supply and plug and play, works well with RM and elink, I used a 4 amp power supply to elink and all is very reliable now. I use NEC Powercab to control locos though as couldn't watch trains and control them with RM.

Archived