railmaster ver 1.56 ver8 =+ pro pack

mcrook62

I think what we are seeing (my thoughts) is many signals were ready for the market to a certain level but RailMaster wasn't. Now we see the reverse, RailMaster is available and we are looking further than most companies are currently offering. Probably because the companies who invested in creating the signals to the level they have need sales to pay for research and tooling. Hornby understandably are waiting to see what happens and will no doubt follow that.

Signalling control for a feather should be simple, as a 2 aspect is red or green, 1 address 2 switches,a 4 aspect is red, yellow, green, 2 yellows, 2 address' each with 2 switches so to add feathers is a third address with 2 switches, on and off. But this needs a decoder/controller which is probably the stumbling block.

I notice Train-Tech decoder does... SC2 - One 3 aspect or 4 aspect or 2 aspect + route indicator  using the address' and switches available.

I think it is a time issue but may be competition will push this. Those ahead in the signal market may see the need to be first and bring out a suitable decoder for their system. Some say you can add route indicators to your signals later? Can this be done with another decoder using one address and two switches I wonder? But if route indicators are purchased later I wonder again how we hide the wires in the signals. 

Comments welcome.

PJ

Hi PJ,

I was thinking of this my self. Do you remember me describing a traintronics 4-aspect signal with feather, but their decoder only provides one port address? Another disadvantage of this signal is that you have to connect it to the decoder yourself. The decoder has several screw-connectors and the signal has about six wires (supposedly of different colours) which need to be connected to these screw-connectors on the decoder. This proved to me to be a mammoth task if you wanted to mount it below the baseboard.

Anyway, I think it would be possible to buy a traintech decoder only, which provides two ports, and to connect the colour lights wires from the signal to this, while retaining the original decoder to switch the feather.

Ray

Hi Ray

I do remember you describing it, I also looked at their manual, mammoth task I agree, and that is just one signal!

Pass it by them at Train-Tech, http://www.train-tech.com/ they are very helpful.

I did read somewhere, not sure now I have read so much! White lights have a different resistor to colour lights to get the brightness. Train-Tech contoller resistors may be different, as at present they control coloured lights only. I think from memory I also read 'check' if you are using another companies signals as they may have their own resistors and are they accessable to remove them if needs be.

Ask is the safest route I feel.

PJ

Archived