Programming track separated from main track voltage

stevecamden

I have a strange observation. I have separated my programming track from the main track with a track switch on/off ( its actually a Peco track switch but I promise the rest of the track is hornby)

Strange thing is - when I measure the voltage anywhere

on the track its 15.5v but on the programming track with the switch set off ( ie isolated) it measures 0.3v. The programming track isn't connected to power so its coming from the main track - but how? I know you could say - 'so what', but when I connect up

the programming track to the elite I wonder if this 'leakage' will interfere with the programming.

Any ideas...

Steve

Hi
You cannot measure DCC voltages accurately with a standard digital multimeter. You need a True Reading DVM volt meter, an RRAmp meter or an Oscilloscope.
So unless you have one of these your 0.3v (which is actually nothing anyway) is just stray

voltage from the programming output appearing on the reading.

Hi
I personally would use two Insulated Rail Joiners (IRJs) opposite to each other. Then use a Double Pole Double Throw (Change-over) switch to select Programming track or normal DCC.
Wired as per shown in this link. http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.htm#Programming%20Track
Which

one to use depends on the DCC system, if it has or hasn't a totally separate Programming output.

Archived