Loco 3 running away when using programming track

SteveWillis

When I read the address of a loco on the programming track, loco 3 on the main track disappeared down the line at full speed.  I don't normally have a loco numbered 3 on the layout so this has never happened to me before. 

Has anyone experienced power being fed to loco 3 when using the programming track? I will renumber loco 3 tomorrow but I am curious as to how it could have happened. Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks.

You shouldn't really need to do that, RDS. I don't and have never had that sort of problem, although I don't think I'd leave a loco with ID 3 on the main track, reprogramming that first. Sounds, though, as if the loco on the main track somehow thought it was a DC one, when they do often run away. How about disabling DC on that loco?

I really can't understand, though, how using the programming track could have interfered with anything on the running track. Any other ideas?

Hi,

This has happened to me a couple of times. The most recent was about 1 month ago when I was simply reading CV's from a loco on the programming track. Suddenly, one train started up at full speed in reverse and my Hornby turntable started up at full speed. I was going to check the types of decoder in these two, but I didn't get around to it. I suspect they may be Gaugemaster. I was using Railmaster and my Elite at the time. Also, neither of them had address 0003.

When you write CV's to a loco on the programming track, the main DCC bus is affected, because briefly, all my colour light signals go out.

Ray

Although I agree with Graskie that we shouldn't need to disconnect the track it is something I always do. 

I see it as remove the chance of things happening that shouldn't.

Interesting what Ray says, which again says to me, removing the track feed when using the program track is the safe option, if something happens later and you can't find out why, at least you know it wasn't caused when writing CV's in Program track mode.  The feeds are so easy to remove and replace.

PJ

Archived