Converting Loco to digital - help please

pidge456

Hi all, I have just been given a Flying Scotsman analogue set from my Father-in-law. I thought it was a DCC ready loco but now think it may not be. The set reference is R1072 which I think is the previous set to the latest R1167. I brought a R8249 decoder for the loco but do not know how to tell if its compatable. It has no ref marks on the loco, how can I tell?

Many thanks.

When I look at the set box for R1072 and R1167 they show DC Analog controllers. On checking Ramsay's British Model Trains it says that the ex-set version 2007-2010 is based on the 98 model and does not mention that it is DCC ready. It implies that it was the basis of the China made Railroad Range R2675 which has a DCC conversion guide in the DCC Section of the Hornby website:

https://www.hornby.com/hornby-dcc/decoder-installation-guides/r2675-railroad-flying-scotsman-decoder-installation

A quick check on the link with your own model should confirm whether it is indeed the Railroad Range model or very similar.

The first year of release for that set you talk of is 2007 (R1072).

Take a look at this link and see all details of that set and the other catalogue releases in 2008, 9 and 10 with different packaging etc...

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=10972

It isn't marked as DCC ready on this site but with the black controller it is likely to be analogue. If the set is from 2010 and has the silver controller it IS DCC ready.

The Hornby catalogues only mention DCC ready for the 2010 release. I have all catalogues from 2008 and have checked these for you. Hope this helps...

Even if it is analogue you CAN convert to digital but some soldering experience will be necessary or at least some great care. YouTube may have vids on this for example. Just ensure the correct coloured wires (from any decoder) go to the correct wheel pickups etc and you'll be OK.

Archived