New decoder shorting circuit

mineheadmike

I have just fitted a decoder in an old but previously unused Patriot tender. The tender ran beautifully on DC but now I have fitted a decoder it shorts the circuit. Would a damaged decoder cause this or should I look elsewhere for the fault. With the decoder in situ I have tried putting a DC current across the motor terminals but nothing happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Is this the tender drive with ringfield motor? If so, then it's probably the screw on the motor. It needs to be replaced by a nylon one.

Yes, it is the ringfield motor tender driven. Not having any nylon screws I replaced the left hand motor screw with a very short, slightly thicker self-tapping screw directly into the plastic casing to prevent the short. It does not reach the metal motor housing. The right hand screw is also shorter but screws in fine. I did actually test the tender before I changed the screws - I discovered this requirement too late. Has this blown the decoder?

Hi

I would advise you have a read through this item before proceeding any further....

www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.html#The

if you haven't tested as detailed and there is any connection between the brush strips to the metal chassis/pick up wheels the decoder will blow upon being connected to DCC!

Great resource. Decoder didn't blow up but loco runs without throttle being used, sigh. WIll start again.

Archived