Elite with Lenz Silver+ problems

Vonsworld

Hello

I recently bought a Lenz Silver+ decoder since they are supposed to be very good at running older loco motors.

I've installed it in a Hornby HST DMU. This train previously had a Hornby decoder installed and it ran well at higher speeds but was not very smooth at low speed.

I'm using a new Elite controller with the latest firmware 1.4.

When I placed the loco on the programming track it straight away started to move at a slow constant speed. When you try assigning an address to the loco, it does not respond, it just keeps running along at a crawling pace. If you press the STOP button it does respond and stop, and when you reset the stop function it just returns to it's usual crawl.

It doesn't seem to respond to any speed commands or address number changes.

Has anyone seen a problem like this before please? and has anyone successfully used a Lenz Silver+ decoder with Hornby Elite?

Thanks

The loco shouldn't move at all on the program track as the programming track is normally dead. The only time a loco should move is when it is actually receiving programming pulses, when it normally does a tiny shuffle back and forth.

Did you program the old decoder with the same setup, did you have the Elite then or a different controller? Can you program other models on the program track?

I've never seen a loco actually proceed along the prog track, only twitch, flash its lights or make a sound as a form of confirmation depending upon the decoder.

As stated above the programming current should be too low to run a motor as protection for your decodder.

then probably a duff decoder i understand the warrenty for lenz is excellent if new a replacment will be sent ,check out lenz website for other warrenty conditions

lets go back to your rough running hst ,which decoder were you using ?

did you alter the back emf cv 10 ?

Unlikely to be a duff decoder. The programming track normally has no power on it to allow a loco to move, so with no power on the track how can a duff decoder make a loco run?

Archived