Hornby Cock of The north TTS Reverse running Sound problem

p_chotter

Just received one of the last batches of the Cock of The North Sound locomotive TTS. An excellent value loco, however I cannot get the loco to run with the chuff sound in reverse only forward motion. I have collected three other TTS locomotives Duke of Gloucester, Gadwall and Tornado and they run ok with sound working in both directions.

I telephoned your help desk and they advised I reset speed to H5. This I have completed still not working.

Is there anything else I can do before returning for repair/replacement?

Any help appreciated.

I would have suggested making sure your command station was set for 128 speed step but seeing as your other locos are behaving that poo poos that idea.

Thank you for coming back to me so quickly I did try this as I think H5 comes up on the basic select unit to confirm speed step is 128 which it did when I tried to change it. There was a note on Hornbys customer services screen about this. One of their staff said H5 would show if it is set to 128 as it is a two digit display. So still mystified but thank you.

I'm about to go out so cannot search the forum but didn't someone recently have the same problem with a Gadwall TTS?

Thank you for that I will have a look for it.

I found that forum on Gadwall however the fault is different in as much that I have sound but just not working correctly in reverse running only everthing else fine.

I will contact Hornby again tomorrow and see if they can throw more light on this, I will report back when I obtain a solution it may have to go back for repair by the look of it as I now suspect a faulty Decoder.

Welcome to the forum, p_chotter. Just a quick thing to say. Type any answers in the white area below a yellow box, preferably after missing the first white line by returning it blank. I'm afraid it's something Hornby still need to sort out with an automatic cursor after the yellow box(es). Your answer will then appear in a separate white area rather than in the yellow box where it can easily be overlooked.

Welcome to the forum, p_chotter. Just a quick thing to say. Type any answers in the white area below a yellow box, preferably after missing the first white line by returning it blank. I'm afraid it's something Hornby still need to sort out with an automatic cursor after the yellow box(es). Your answer will then appear in a separate white area rather than in the yellow box where it can easily be overlooked.

Thank you for the information hopefully this is what you mean.

Sounds to me like a faulty loco so speak to HCC on that basis.

Admin, General is getting clogged with DCC/RM again, a few to be moved.

It is on its way back for repair having spoken with HCC you were right. If I get some feedback as to the fault I will notify here. Thanks everyone.

I promised I would give some feedback on this problem with the sound not functioning correctly in reverse on the P2 TTS. Well the Locomotive was returned to Hornby service department and they called me back very quickly to say that they had it running on their Elite controller and test track and all seemed to be running fine with sound in both directions.

When asked they confirmed they had checked the speed setting was at 128 which I believed it to be anyway before sending it off. We discussed the controller I use which is a Digitrax DCS51 and considered this may be at fault but it runs the other TTS locomotives such as Duke of Gloucester, Gadwal and Tornado without any problems and the speed set up is default to 128 on the DCS51.

The other discussion was that some of the earlier Sound decoders may have had a glitch in the programming but this had been rectified very early on by Hornby and besides this P2 I have is one of the last out of the door.

I have received back the P2 today and just test run it and it works correctly now without any changes or modifications on my controller set up so I am completely confused by this.

I have no idea why this did not work the first time. 

The report from hornby Service department said no fault found?

I would say the turnaround and support was excellent even if we do not understand what was wrong.

If possible on your controller read back CV150 and associated CVs (151-154) and see what algorithm they have set it to.

It may be of use to other people having speed step related problems on alien controllers.

If possible on your controller read back CV150 and associated CVs (151-154) and see what algorithm they have set it to.

It may be of use to other people having speed step related problems on alien controllers.

Here are the CV algorithms that are set into the now working TTS Cock of the North P2

CV150=000

CV151=255

CV152=001

CV153=215

CV154=115

I hope this helps anyone else who may experience a similar problem.

Those are the default values for CVs 151-154 associated with algorithms 1 and 2 per the manual.

CV151 and 152 apply to algorithm 1 and CV153 and 154 apply to algorithm 2.

Try setting CV150 to value 1 (algorithm 2) and see if there is any difference in the loco response.

If not then report those values back to HCC and see if they can suggest setting them to anything else.

Archived