Hard drive crashed

western ranger

Welcome to the forums wr.

If you can't actually run RM from the drive, you can't deactivate.  Once you have RM set up and running in evaluation mode on a new drive, simply email RM Support from the email in the Help window and explain, and they will fix it for you by doing the deactivation at their end.

And no, you cannot operate RM on the new drive by copying over the exe and dll files, you must reinstall. You can copy your data files like layouts, programs and loco list though and have them available and working in your new setup.

Can you help

I have two issues

1st my hard drive crashed but i can access some files rail master being one

so how do i deactivate the key so i can reuse it on my new hard drive and can i 

copy the dll file to my new hard drive

i kept the same os windows 7

thanks

Welcome to the foums.WR.

Just as an afterthought to your initial comment about a hard drive crashing... if you can pull files from it and successfully too then your drive should be OK to use again after a full format. The drive doesn't 'crash', it fails. It's the operating system or program running that 'crashes'... apologies for being pedantic but I am long time techie and know my stuff. Anyway, you should be able to re-use the drive even if bad sectors or clusters are reported by Windows. They can be fixed or marked as bad by Windows and shouldn't cause problems later on. If more appear after that then save your data and replace the drive becasue it WILL fail soon after the second time.

Anyway... if you have a new drive you can always add the second (old one) back in to the PC as a data drive... if it is a laptop then put it in a hard drive case and use it as an external drive.

Just a thought...

When a system crash or drive failure occurs alarm bells ring.

They should ring sooner. Alway have a back up system to another drive, external drive or other computer.

Don't think C & D drives on a system are two drives they could be one drive set up as two on a larger drive. Always back up to an external source.

A safer method I find is to Sync your files, to an external drive, at least daily. There is FREE software online to do this!

It seems you haven't lost all your data but a drive can seize, you must have a second copy of all your main files. Documents, Pictures, Music, Video, Backups (Put RM backups in here), Exported data and the like.

This message is added more as a reminder to anyone reading who does not have a second copy of their important data. Anyone who has lost data, learned the hard way and always ensures they have at least two copies of their important files.

PJ

If your pc just died and wont reboot into Windows then a 'crashed' HDD may be the problem, but there can be a multitude of other reasons. Try all available recovery methods first..

If you have a HDD caddy, that allows you to hot insert a normal HDD, then you can stick your 'dead' HDD in that and can often read most of your files, as they may still be OK if its just a Windows failure.

If the problem is just the deactivation/reactivation of RM then the guys above have already explained how to sort it.

Forgot to say - nice to see AC is back.

If you can't actually run RM from the drive, you can't deactivate.  Once you have RM set up and running in evaluation mode on a new drive, simply email RM Support from the email in the Help window and explain, and they will fix it for you by doing the deactivation at their end.

And no, you cannot operate RM on the new drive by copying over the exe and dll files, you must reinstall. You can copy your data files like layouts, programs and loco list though and have them available and working in your new setup.

Archived