Elite Question re 2nd Track

Ozwarrior

Hi. I have an Elite which I have used on my single track layout for quite some time and it has done all I needed (ok not much!). I am now building a modular twin track layout based on the Kato H0 T-trak system. My question is do I need to buy a second Elite or is there a slave/booster system I can use?

I need to clarify that the two tracks will have no contact (ie points) at all

Thanks, Les

Thank you both for your replies. Once explained it's obvious but electrical/electronics do not come naturally to me. Often with these things the information hits one ear, proceeds at light speed through the vacuum and departs from the other ear! Anyway thanks again,

Les

You should be able to solve that Les by putting a small diode in each ear hole to demodulate the signal on the way in/out, leaving you with the info. Just basic electronics really.  Simpler than the physics solution of putting high mass baffles between your ears to create enough gravity to slightly bend the electromagnetic radiation so it doesn't go out the other ear.  Unfortunately that one is not really practical as you'd need to use depleted uranium to get sufficient mass.

Sorry, I couldn't hear that, Fishy. All I know is that sound waves are nowhere near the speed of light, and sound cannot travel through a vacuum. So, Oz has got a problem. What he thought was a vacuum between his ears must therefore have been something else.

Another feed from the controller is all you need, unless you are planning on running more than 8 trains simltaniously. If your anything like me though, you can't run more than 1 per track without a high levvel of concentration, so put a wire from a track connection clip to A, and one to B on the clip to the red (A) and black (B) outputs marked track on the controller.

XYZ

Sorry, I couldn't hear that, Fishy. All I know is that sound waves are nowhere near the speed of light, and sound cannot travel through a vacuum. So, Oz has got a problem. What he thought was a vacuum between his ears must therefore have been something else.

There are many reasons you can't hear that Graskie, and I assure you I'll get to them all below.

But first, your theory is correct but doesn't go far enough to explain what's happening. As you may have noticed, this is a forum on which we can't actually talk to each other. Instead, we type, upload the result to the Hornby website from where others download these words.  Now electromagnetic radiation and the speed of light come in because, at the very least, there is wifi involved in this transmission process.  It is this electrical/electronic process to which Oz refers I'm sure.  So what we need is something to capture it before it exits at his second ear, hence the diodes/baffles to which I referred.

But I digress - there are a number of almost equally likely reasons for your failure to hear:

-  first, and slightly more likely, there is a vacuum between your ears.  For this I refer to your clearly explained treatise on the propagation of sound as a pressure wave, or lack thereof in a vacuum.

-  second, you have failed to fit the requisite diodes in your ears.  For this I refer to my treatise. Or

-  third, you have failed to fit the requisite baffles, again in my treatise.  In fact, this may be your best solution as the stuff clogging your garage is probably heavy enough to do the trick.  Maybe you could just stand next to it.  Have you ever noticed it being noisy out there?

And I apologise to Oz for this entire digression, but his answer was given above in the second post, with a little further clarification by XYZ above.

Archived