Jumpy Starting Under DCC

maxey

Hi all have just made first foray into dcc I bought rtr b******* loco (all I could afford at time) to join my DC fleet to enable me to run 1 train at least, whilst tinkering with DCC layout wiring etc using only small progrmming track til finished

I have NCE Powercab Apart from these everthing else Hornby 

DCC J11 seems to hop/move forwrd twice when activated is this likely to be how Iprogrammed loco? Little wary of fitting rest of fleet until got hang of running etc1loco. 

Thanks all

Maxey

Hi maxey, welcome to the forums.  I take it you forgot to put a thread title, so it has defaulted to using your name instead?  Admin will fix that for you when he comes along, something like Jumpy Starting Under DCC.  And you can say Bachmann just like you said NCE without a problem.

Could you explain a little more please?  Do you mean it jumps when you switch the controller to it to take control and before you change the throttle setting?  Or is it when you first go to move it?  Irrespective, it shouldn't happen, the locos should just start off smoothly.

Bachmann's older decoders, which are normally fitted to DCC fitted locos, 36-553(8pin) and 36-554(21pin) are well known for jerky running at slow speeds in some models.  You may need to adjust CVs 54 and 55 to get smooth running.  There is list of suggested settings for those CVs on Bachmann's website.

Hi maxey, welcome to the forums.  I take it you forgot to put a thread title, so it has defaulted to using your name instead?  Admin will fix that for you when he comes along, something like Jumpy Starting Under DCC.  And you can say Bachmann just like you said NCE without a problem.

Could you explain a little more please?  Do you mean it jumps when you switch the controller to it to take control and before you change the throttle setting?  Or is it when you first go to move it?  Irrespective, it shouldn't happen, the locos should just start off smoothly.

Hi all have just made first foray into dcc I bought rtr Bachmann loco (all I could afford at time) to join my DC fleet to enable me to run 1 train at least, whilst tinkering with DCC layout wiring etc using only small progrmming track til finished

I have NCE Powercab Apart from these everthing else Hornby DCC J11 seems to hop/move forwrd twice when activated is this likely to be how Iprogrammed loco? Little wary of fitting rest of fleet until got hang of running etc1loco. 

Thanks all

Maxey

Hi Thank you for that,

You hit the nail on the head as I choose/try to address the loco it 'jerks' forwards but otherwise performance seems fine, it moves as required accelerates as expected etc. I presume I've missed something really obvious which I hope is my stupidity ( only experience with DCC from Zero 1, still boxed from 1980's) I couldnt get that right either! Iadressed loco from 3~1, and as soon as this done loco seemed to jerk fwds. I have not altered any (As I feel too unsure as yet to alter CV's ) in case roger anything :-) Thanks Maxey

Select or Elite controller?

Possibly the loco has dc running enabled, and the first power-up is seen as a dc command to go, then the decoder wakes up and says STOP!

Are the wheels, pick-ups and track clean?

The controller is NCE but have heard about disabling dc, would this be with DCC locos too!

Track et el new and clean as only used for programming

Thanks Maxxey

Maxey, can I suggest you stop hitting the reply button at the bottom of people's posts and go to the big white box at the bottom below this last post I'm writing.

There is one post you haven't noted, and that's the one from Rog on CVs 53 and 54.  I agree with him this is most likely your problem so suggest you try what he says.

Still not clear poliss as all decoders will contain small surface mount capacitors somewhere, and they will be essential to operation.  There'll be one on the back end of the bridge rectifier for a start.

But I assume you know all that and mean something different?

I fitted  a bachmann c class with a bachmann 21 pin DCC chip and no matter how I fiddled with the cv's could not cure jerky running. Had an 8 pin Hornby chip not in use and bought a 21 pin to 8 pin adapter and used this as a replacement. After fitting this to the loco the performance was fine even on the standard settings with no changes. The moral is I no longer buy bachmann chips even for bachmann locos!

Bachmann's older decoders, which are normally fitted to DCC fitted locos, 36-553(8pin) and 36-554(21pin) are well known for jerky running at slow speeds in some models.  You may need to adjust CVs 54 and 55 to get smooth running.  There is list of suggested settings for those CVs on Bachmann's website.

Thanks for this, sorry to ask again would the CV's need to be altered prior to first assigning loco address? ie type in loco number, loco jerks a couple of times, but when controlling loco, all appears to be OK and loco moves smoothly at all speeds I am making assumption I have done something wrongly.

Maxey, can I suggest you stop hitting the reply button at the bottom of people's posts and go to the big white box at the bottom below this last post I'm writing.

There is one post you haven't noted, and that's the one from Rog on CVs 53 and 54.  I agree with him this is most likely your problem so suggest you try what he says.

My apologies my ineptitude astounds me sometimes :-)

Archived