Firmware update

DonnyGeologist

Keep doing it, following to the letter the appropriate guide for the version of Windows are you using.

I am one of the unfortunates who just cannot update my Elite using Win-anything except XP. It is obviously a problem with my HP machine and its pre-loaded Windows, so fortunate I have a fall back machine.

To reset the Elite you need to be able to get it running as normal then pick through the menus until you get to UNIT - RESET - CONFIRM. There is a chart in the manual (make sure its the manual for your version) showing the Menu flows.

Donny,

What Windows OS are you using. Many users have reported firmware update grief on anything other than Windows XP. It is rumoured that Hornby themselves keep a special XP based PC machine dedicated for doing firmware updates. If your upgrade continues to fail, then you may have to send the Elite back to Hornby and have them do it for you.

Yours must be quite an old Elite then, the current 1.41 firmware release has been around for quite some time.

As with a lot of things posted on here, Windows version is a red herring.  I believe you may find that some later hardware configurations, and maybe even BIOSs make it more difficult, and on some computers not possible.  HRMS has even spoken recently about USB hardware in modern computers and problems it may cause.  For a start on this, I did my firmware upgrade using Windows 7.

The really important thing is to do it as follows to put the Elite into Upgrade mode, posted by HCC back in 2011:

"Once you have installed the driver please follow these steps:

-  Unplug Elite from USB cable and remove power cable

- Then hold the stop button and plug the power cable in keep holding the stop button for 15 seconds

- Then leave for 15 seconds

-  Attach the USB cable from the computer to the Elite

– leave for 15 seconds

- Then run the firmware software"

I would add to make sure you are using a USB 2 port, not 3, and check with Device Manager that the correct com port is specified.  Then try a number of times, mine failed the first time and worked the second.  Others have reported having to try more than that.  If still having problems, try a different port and different computer if you have access to one.  HCC is your final resort as they can do it and the service is free.

My Elite is already at 1.41, so I am asking this question just purely out of curiosity.

The downloadable Hornby Elite Firmware upgrade instructions only go up to Windows 7.

Has anybody successfully performed an Elite Firmware upgrade using Windows 8.1 ??

Thats what I was trying to say Fishy - its not the version of Windows its the machine that it is running on and maybe its various hardware configurations.

I have 2 HP machines on Win 8.1 and they have never let me upgrade my Elite(s), but the one in the Train Room will happilly run and update RM from a USB3 add-on card plugged into the mobo, even updating the eLInk firmware from that as well without problems.

Chris - yes many people have reported upgrading Elite using Win 7, 8 and 8.1. The only slight problem some people saw was getting the correct driver installed at the right time in sequence.

I found that first I needed the right driver installed and then identify the port. I did this first on my Mac running XP for my Elite and then for a friend using a PC laptop running Vista.

unplug elite, power and USB and leave computer on

start in upgrade mode by holding down the stop button and then plug the power in

wait 15 seconds and plug in USB cable (someone else said then plug in the usb cable while holding the stop button for 15 seconds, you should then get a window up asking to if you wan to upgrade, you need to select the right port and click on upgrade or ok (cant remember off hand, i did it and had no problems )

definitely remember to right click to run as administrator.

Fish I know that you said the same thing but giving my experience after so much initial frustration.

Archived