Duke of Gloucester

Wayne2467

Hi - can't manage to get the horn to function whilst the loco is moving around the track. I can get it to sound initially on set up but not after that. other sounds seem to be working although iam aware I can only get eight with the select control. Any ideas?

Also it is without coupling on the back (is this normal) there does appear to be a flimsy looking assembly kit but haven't managed to assemble as yet as I can't see how it would attach anyway. Thanks Wayne

/media/tinymce_upload/Capture12.PNGThere should be a plain to see fishtail recess on the tender Wayne into which a standard NEM pocket coupling fits. These are notorious for falling out so look in the box or around your layout and see if you can find it. Then firmly attach it with a dab of UHU or similar. You can find several references on the forums about dodgy couplings falling off.

This is the item:

There should be a fishtail recess under the back of the tender Wayne into which presses an NEM pocket coupling like the photo here http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/images/hornby_spares/x9289.jpg

These are notorious for falling out and have been discussed many times on the forum.

Have a look in the box or on your track or under the settee for it then press it firmly into place with a dab of UhU to make sure it stays there.

DoG doesn't HAVE a horn! It does have a whistle.

The couplings are in the box in a sealed pack with some other decorative bits. They just clip into the little box.

Several people have reported having problems with the TTS chips, so if it still won't work, take it back for examination by wherever you bought it from!

Wayne, is the whistle the only sound that doesn't work?

You've now said a little differently to what you've said elsewhere too.  Is it the case that the whistle works one time only and not again?  If so, it is almost certainly a latching sound problem where the sound is set up with the words on/off following it.  I have no idea if it is possible to do this with the Select though.  Like we've said to you elsewhere, the Select really is very basic and I can see your needing to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Wayne, is the whistle the only sound that doesn't work?

You've now said a little differently to what you've said elsewhere too.  Is it the case that the whistle works one time only and not again?  If so, it is almost certainly a latching sound problem where the sound is set up with the words on/off following it.  I have no idea if it is possible to do this with the Select though.  Like we've said to you elsewhere, the Select really is very basic and I can see your needing to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Hello Wayne

I have both the DOG TTS and an old Select controller so thought I would test it with the DOG TTS for you. My Select has Firmware V1.2.  I can confirm no problems with sound using the Select with the DOG with the obvious limitations of only 8 functions available. I just selected the loco number held down the Number 1 key then pressed the function button as per the manual and the sound stared then adjusted throttle and away it went as per normal. I tested functions  1, (engine sound)  2 and 4 (whistle) all worked as expected whilst the loco was moving. As has been suggested it may be a problem with the TTS chip or maybe the Select, have you tested it with other sound locos? I would recommend upgrading the controller when finances allow the Select is a great start but you will appreciate a more powerful and flexible controller when you get one. I purchased one on eBay , I see the model I have is currently going for $215 AU its brilliant. Not sure if its appropriate to mention brands on the site so if you want to know details let me know.

The way you access functions on the Select is dependant upon the firmware revision state. There has been previous discussion of this on the forums. The latest Select update state is v1.2, which you can get Hornby to do for you free of charge (apart from P&P of course). 

Also the Select can only toggle functions not momentarily select them i.e. if you select a TTS function regardless of if it is a latched or single play function you then have to deselect it before you can select it again.

The basic Select function operation is described in the Select manual and the way to use the Select with TTS is described in every TTS loco manual.

Regarding an updated controller. If you went for an Elite (expensive) you can attach and use the Select as a Walkabout controller. If you buy an eLink you also enter the world of Computer control with the eLink controller. Read about them all on this website.

The way you access functions on the Select is dependant upon the firmware revision state. There has been previous discussion of this on the forums. The latest Select update state is v1.2, which you can get Hornby to do for you free of charge (apart from P&P of course). 

Also the Select can only toggle functions not momentarily select them i.e. if you select a TTS function regardless of if it is a latched or single play function you then have to deselect it before you can select it again.

The basic Select function operation is described in the Select manual and the way to use the Select with TTS is described in every TTS loco manual.

Regarding an updated controller. If you went for an Elite (expensive) you can attach and use the Select as a Walkabout controller. If you buy an eLink you also enter the world of Computer control with the eLink controller. Read about them all on this website.

...If you buy an eLink you also enter the world of Computer control with the eLink controller. Read about them all on this website....

What I meant to write was '... if you buy Railmaster you enter the world of...'

Hello Wayne

I have both the DOG TTS and an old Select controller so thought I would test it with the DOG TTS for you. My Select has Firmware V1.2.  I can confirm no problems with sound using the Select with the DOG with the obvious limitations of only 8 functions available. I just selected the loco number held down the Number 1 key then pressed the function button as per the manual and the sound stared then adjusted throttle and away it went as per normal. I tested functions  1, (engine sound)  2 and 4 (whistle) all worked as expected whilst the loco was moving. As has been suggested it may be a problem with the TTS chip or maybe the Select, have you tested it with other sound locos? I would recommend upgrading the controller when finances allow the Select is a great start but you will appreciate a more powerful and flexible controller when you get one. I purchased one on eBay , I see the model I have is currently going for $215 AU its brilliant. Not sure if its appropriate to mention brands on the site so if you want to know details let me know.

In the abscence of PMing as Eric says you should ask Admin to pass the message not post your email address on here. There is a warning about not doing that in plain site on this page in Forum Rules 3rd para down.

Archived