Programmed loco but it will not move

Photega

I have just fitted a hornby 4 function chip to a DMU and using Yelrow's instructions from December managed to programme it and it says successful however the loco will not move using the controller

Where do I start looking to fix this? Should point out I have programmed 3 other loco's with no problem

Make sure the software also shows Com1 Photega. Try and leave the USB cable in the same socket each time you use the software too as this can be a nuisance if moved about each time and placed in a different socket.

You will invariably alter the physical port number in Device Manager the software is looking to use as Windows will allocate different numbers upon each boot each time you connect the cable to a different socket.

If you are in doubt read my section on Ports on my site which is linked to in the sticky 'RailMaster Help Site' at the top of the RailMaster forum.

This is probably why the loco is not being programmed correctly. As Fishy says check the number is still not showing as 3 for that loco. Just put it back on the programming track and read the CV's within RM.

You don't say the loco actually ran before you programmed it but we assume it did so the above is a correct check to make. Let us know with some feedback if this works whether the port or just a programming fault.

No now when I try and connect I get there is no active dcc controller attached - but if I look in device manager it is there on Com 1

I always find fault finding by elimination is a sound approach.

Are you sure it's the data connection that has been lost? Does anythiong work from RailMaster? Are you using an Elite or e-link? If Elite, can you operate it indpendenly of RailMaster? Questions one step at a time, debugging by elimination....

Michael is on the right track Photega (if he would only not hide his advice in the yellow box where it is hard to find) but, even though your system has been working, can I suggest you go back to scratch and run through the advice in the thread at the top of the RM forum titled Railmaster: Setting Up and Getting Started.  I'm pretty sure you'll find your answer in there.

........... (if he would only not hide his advice in the yellow box where it is hard to find).........

I tried to reply to a post earlier today and no matter what I did I could not get the white box to show, only the yellow box was showing.  Maybe that's the problem that some other posters have? 

I was using a Hudle 2 tablet which normally shows a very clear colour difference between the yellow and white boxes but in this instance the yellow box filled the reply window completely with no space where the white box could be and no scrolling was possible.  Maybe one for the site admins.

PS On my laptop which I'm using now, the distinction between the yellow box and the white area is very poor.  I'll try and post a screengrab to show what I mean.

/media/tinymce_upload/Screengrab01.PNG

Sorry for going off topic.

Yes, I know I was being a bit harsh there.  But use the big white box at the bottom and there'll never be such a problem.

That's my methodology now Fishy - I copy &paste into here anything I need to refer to. (Example --   big white box at the bottom ---end of example). I also find by clicking the quotes " in the top bar that screws things up a treat.

It is so easy to amend the yelrow box stuff then I get locked into the yellow box and cannot  click in the white area to continue.

It is fairly instinctive how it works, even to a numpty like me, but if you tread in the wrong area first you get trapped. Should be so.

Therefore Graskie I fully agree it needs a little fettling by Adam the Admin (that's almost an anagram).

Archived