DCC and The elements

Dwarfboysim

Hi,

I have had to move my layout to my shed due to young children in the house.  The temperature varies quite a bit throughout the year and at times the roller doors are open and dust blows in.  I am currently trying to service my loco's to get them going again and having a lot of trouble.  They are all on DCC.  I have used some oil to lubricate the gears and they can go fine for 5 minutes then will start to struggle or stop.  I give then a nudge and then they start to go again.  Any tips on how to get them running smoothly and look after them in this environment.  FYI track has been cleaned thoroughly.

Thanks,

Dwarfboysim

Follow the lubrication guide that came with your locos.

Generally for model railways - oil is used for bearings and grease for gears.

Only use very light such as sewing machine oil or special model oil and vary sparingly - it is not necessary to splash it about thinking it will do good.

Special grease is also available at your model shop - Hob-E-Lube is one brand of oil and grease.

Don't use 3-in1 oil or WD-40 on your models.

I have found a can of that air-spray (NOT hair spray) used to clean computers is a boon, but avoid using it near delicate details or they can disappear. I blow out debris from motors and wheel pickups with it and use it very carefully as a 'duster' on the bodywork..

Archived