Loco Detection: What Is It and How Does It Work?

@Fishmanoz

I may have misled you.  I agree totally with what you say about there being no link between RM and the 'mimic' layout.  To produce something that has live tracking would require sophisticated 'networking' software with something similar to a graphical information system (GIS) behind it.  It would require accurate information on distances between sensors (LD, points etc) and a lot more feedback from the track.  This alone would rule it out for almost all practical purposes, before you consider the cost of GIS software.  It's not going to happen !

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem (if it is a problem) is that JMRI doesn't work with eLink and the Hornby solution.

Well there you go, another blotch on Hornby. How could you release a product like the eLink that doesn't even interface with JMRI? And imagine how many sales that's done them out of! How can you have the Elite supporting JMRI and not an even newer product like the eLink?

Probably want to hog their own customers and force them to use their own LD, even though there isn't any yet! Sorry, but those running Hornby are not model railroaders, they're just a bunch of marketers!

The software has to support the hardware, not the other way round.  The problem is that Hornby have not, to date, released details of the comms between RM and eLink.

The software has to support the hardware, not the other way round.  The problem is that Hornby have not, to date, released details of the comms between RM and eLink.

Well there you go! The Elite works with JMRI, so why would Hornby release an even newer product that doesn't?

Censorship prevents me from expressing myself properly - over and out. 😆

The interesting thing about the CTI LD system is that it exists and works BUT at a cost-per-sensor (intelligent variety) way beyond that indicated for the Hornby solution, which is why we are waiting (or in some cases, not) for the revolutionary approach to arrive.

Archived