R8247 Power?

MikeMJD

Mike, When I measured the current drawn by one of my R8247 decoders during a fault finding diagnostic exercise. I measured 14mA as the quiescent (idle) current. There will be a sudden surge of current when you fire a solenoid point to recharge the internal capacitors in the R8247. But this would still be quite low. I haven’t measured it in practice but I would estimate it to be about 150mA, 200mA at most. It is the R8247 internal capacitors that provide the high amperage current to fire the solenoid.

I believe to the best of my recollection that their values are 4,700uF, but my memory might be failing as it was a long time ago when I took one apart to look inside.

So in answer to your question: Yes OK to operate, No (more power not needed).

There is a long past post on this very point, where hornby confirm that they have big in house layout, with several points, all running on 1 amp. It is a tad confusing, as when i enquired about running my points, i was advised(not by Hornby) that i would need 4 amp transformer. So if its good enough for hornby, should be fine john

There is a long past post on this very point, where hornby confirm that they have big in house layout, with several points, all running on 1 amp. It is a tad confusing, as when i enquired about running my points, i was advised(not by Hornby) that i would need 4 amp transformer. So if its good enough for hornby, should be fine john

Many thanks.

Archived