Elite upgrade problems

Mark390

Hello

After having problems with RailMaster (another thread, another story), I decided on the Elite controller, and all working perfectly!

Until I decided to upgrade from the 1.0 that was installed, to the current version - 1.4.

Following the instructions closely, I added the relevant port (showing correctly as Hornby Controller), and tried to instal the driver. Driver failed to install (sorry I didn't note the actual error, as I thought 2nd attempt would fix it). But it didn't. Now when I try I get error "error in elite comm!".

Elite now will not start, the green light just flashes.

Just when I thought I had fixed my problems. Any help please - I've tried searching through previous threads, but can't find any mention, sorry if I've repeated something solved years ago!).

Mark

mark, there are instructions, on hornby site, not forum, also, you will need windows 7 driver. Fear not, most of the guys on here are elite experts, one will be along shortly. Its the same for us all, we go a step too far, when things are fine. I belive there is a new , i.41 update. john

Yes indeed, I wish I had stayed with 1.0, it was working perfectly!!

I had followed the instructions on Hornby site, which I felt was very easy to follow and all was going well. Too well.

I've even tried different USB ports, as sometimes one can have an issue. Following the install driver on each. Same problem.

Mine took three or four gos, too, when I updated to 1.4, about two years back.

You have to follow every step EXACTLY and wait. Give the thing time to perform each step. If you try to rush it, the update will fail.

A lot of people keep an old pc loaded with Windows XP, just for updating, because W7 is even more fussy! If all else fails, you can send the Elite back to Hornby, and they will update it for you.

There is something about re setting to factory settings, but these guys are experts, have a coffee, and wait for one of them. If all else fails, i have a contact, at hornby, but i am pretty sure we wont need him. john

Thanks guys for your help, I'll wait to see what replies I get.

If it helps I do still have an XP machine, purely for programs that won't run on newer OS, so if a solution is to install from an XP machine, that is an option.

I was careful to wait the 15 seconds, probably gave it a few more just to case, each time.

Mark

Hi Mark, I updated mine from a W7 machine so it is possible.  But if you could go back a couple of years and look at all the old content on this, some could do it and some not.  Also, Hornby keep a couple of Pcs they know it works on so they can do it reliably.  It's a mystery why, but probably has something to do with particular hardware and BIOS configurations, not to mention the phase of the moon at the time and the configuration of the stones in your garden borders out the back!

You seem to say you have done the critical thing of plugging it in in the designated order with delays, which puts it in update mode in the first place.  So try it a couple more times and, if no luck, definitely try the XP machine.  You might also go out and kick the borders around a bit to be sure, and the moon phase will have changed by then too.

This is now the only way to get the Elite working unfortunately, you can't go back.  And you'll need to download the latest manual from the site too because a number of things work differently in v1.41 (I know you said 1.4 but that has serious bugs which were fixed in 1.41).

OK, after the first unsuccessful attempt on W XP (well it would never work first time, would it), second time we have success. "Update successful" appeared! Restarting Elite confirmed that it's working well, now with 1.41. Relief.

Thanks for all your help, it's usual case of once you've tried everything you can think off, try thinking of something you haven't!

Mark

I had exactly the same problem when I tried to update my Elite to v1.41 after following the instructions explicitly, all I got in the end was the geen light when I powered it up and nothing else. The original firmware that was installed had been errased in readyness for the new update  and all I kept getting was Like you."update failed" and a completely black screen.   After contacting Hornby support and a small number of emails back and forth with suggestions to try which did not work I was advised to send the unit to Hornby in the UK (I live in NZ) which I did. Within 3 weeks I had the unit back  updated and working again. Great support in my opinion.

Antony

Archived