What is the best airbrush to start with?

The simple answer is the best you can afford. The Iwata Neo airbrushes offer good build quality. You can get cheaper airbrushes as part of packages with compressors, but in my experience something usually fails or breaks.

What air source are you considering?

I'm not sure what kind yet. What is the best air sorce?

Depends on your budget. I'd suggest a compressor with a holding tank - you can get the AS-186 with airbrush for around £80 (can't vouch for the airbrush through) which also has a moisture trap and pressure gauge.

Where can I get a hold of one of those?

I use an Iwata Neo airbrush. Whilst it's good, it can be a pain to clean and not as good as a very expensive airbrush. However, for someone like me who only uses it for airbrushing models with a degree of control, it's great, Even I can get a relatively fine line from it. It's been a steep learning curve to thin paints though.

I also think a compressor is a must. You can get by with compressed air cans but honestly by the time you have bought a few of those you just might well have got a cheap and cheerful compressor. My compressor was only around £70 (only!) but it does have a variable pressure control which cans of air don't. So you have control on the airbrush and the compressor. The compressor is not meant in any shape for form to be used continually; again for me it is ideal since I only use it once in a while. Yes it's very cheap and cheerful, but for me it's ideal.

Be aware, something that frustrated me greatly. Whilst compressors tend to have a standard output connection, airbrushes don't and you will have to make careful research into the connecting hoses.

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v3/714949508/1_8HP_newly_design_mini_air_compressor.jpg

I started with a now ancient Humbrol airbrush. For what it was it was actually quite good, but unforunately I damaged it. Spurred on, I now use an Iwata Neo which, whilst cheap compared to other airbrushes, including Iwatas, suits my needs. It can be a beggar to clean though and the O-rings can be flimsy, so watch your cleaning fluids.

What I found annoying is that whilst compressors tend to come with a standard hose fitting, airbrushes do not. The Neo doesn't come with a hose or any indication of what connector for the hose you will need. I got into a terrible mess with mine and bought several wrong adaptors to start with. I got so confused I honestly don't remember what sizes I bought, sorry.

But the airbrush itself is fine for general modelling as we would need. Even with my ham-fistedness I can get a reasonably fine line with it, not that with our (or more accurately my) modellilng you will need that *too* often. It's a huge learning curve though. It's not just the use of the airbrush but thinning of paints that go with it, what pressures to use, how far back from the model to spray with the thinned paint, or how close to. All of these things interact in a variety of different ways. But I am getting there.

I think as important is the supply of air. I bought a cheap (cheap he says!) and very cheerful compressor, but eminently usable. I could be wrong, but personally I don't think it's designed for any more than 15 minutes here and there, so if you're going to be using it very frequently or for extended periods, look at a more robust compressor. What I like about it is that it also has a separate air regulator on the unit itself, so between that and the use of the airbrush, there's a good degree of control. I paid around £60-£70 for the version without an included airbrush; there's a more expensive version with an airbrush included, but if you're going to get a good airbrush, you won't need the one included with the compressor.

Whilst that's a lot of money for many, myself included, it's only a few cans of compressed air which have no real control and even when full, can suffer pressure drop after only a short spray time. It's a 'Vogue Air' HS-216K compressor and I found a review on YouTube. It came with an inline water trap and filter, too. Look on YouTube for HS-216K Compressor.

There is the airbrush for £15-£20 (or even less) which is a simple handle with a nozzle and glass bottle and dip tube. They are great for spraying relatively large areas, though they still need practice, but I'd not want to try and attempt anything small with them as there is virtually no control. I'm not knocking them since they do seem to have their uses, but all I ever found it did was just sort of blast paint over everywhere and everything.

I worked in a factory and used Devilbiss spray guns, so was used to spraying (albeit on a larger scale) before I got my first airbrush. I got a Wolf Air compressor from Screwfix for £70 and a cheap airbrush for £25 - OK but not much control. I moved on to a Badger 200 and while this was better I still wasn't happy with it. I then went dual action, gravity feed with an Iwata HPC+ (£175) and its very good. Unfortunately I dropped it and broke the needle. While waiting to get it fixed I bought a cheap Chinese clone brush for £18, this works just as well as the Iwata (which cost £35 to fix). I also bought an Iwata Revolution (£75) but this isn't as good as the other two.

If you can, try an airbrush out before buying. Little Cars attend lots of model shows and demonstrate airbrushes. If you can, see there first.

Wolfe, the only problem with that compressor is that it runs all the time and, from experience, they tend to go walkbout or get very hot.

Amazon have this for a very good price - it only runs to fill up the tank then switches off.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ED0R95M/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0036OLZ2O&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0WSXGRSB6NC9SQNT7TXE

And for a little more than that set you posted you could get this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FoxHunter-KMS-Airbrush-Compressor-Airbrushes/dp/B004XP7K9W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1432194151&sr=8-4&keywords=compressor+and+airbrush

The only thing is I really could not guarantee how good the airbrushes would be!

• 2 weeks later...

.Hi Guys

If I may be allowed to put my two penneth in, I started with a Badger single action many years ago, I then got out of the hobby for quite a few years.

In the last couple of years I have got back into the hobby quite seriously and decided to try and master the use of an airbrush a bit more.

I got an Iwata Neo and started to get used to using a double action airbrush. 

I mainly model 1/48 scale aircraft, this airbrush has helped my do some fairly reasonable work. It has already been said by somebody else, they aren't the easiest to clean, and that is so true.

I discovered a couple of websites on youtube dedicated to modelling, Flory Models and Genessis models. These Guys do some brilliant stuff. Both have slightly different approaches to airbrushing, but once you start to get into it yourself, you can pick the bones out of it and find which bit of advise works for you. 

Having done a fair bit of work with the Neo and watched quite a few videos from the guys at Flor and Genessis, I felt I would like to buy something a bit better.

Having done a fair bit of research it was clear that the choice would be between Iwata and new to me Harder and Steenbeck. I think it was on Genessis Models that I first saw Harder and Steenbeck.

The H&S Infinity was my eventual choice. Not cheap, but I am so pleased with it. It works so well and is a doddle to clean. Well worth the money. 

Although I got the infinity with 3 different needles and jets, I have settled out with using just the .2mm set.

The difference between the Neo and the Infinity is unbelievable, but then for what the Infinity cost, and I got a really good deal, I could have bought another 3 Neos.

I did plan to still use the Neo for certain jobs and keep the Infinity for "best". However, I now use the Infinity for everything.

So just to re-itterate what somebody else has said, if you can, buy the best you can afford.

Sorry, if I went into waffle mode, but if my experiences help anybody then I am happy.

• 1 month later...

I've noticed that some compressors can be very expensive, I do wonder why. I suppose they are meant to be used for longer periods of time and more frequently than my cheap and cheeful make. There are those that pump up a chamber then cut out, only starting again to pump up the chamber as it's used. are their any advantages to that, where my cheap and cheerful thing just continually compresses?

DIY compressor - This is the cheapest and quietest equipment you will ever get. The compressor comes from an old refrigerator that was out of use. The airtank is the watertank for cleaning the windscreen of a car. Tank and hose were taken from a VW Beetle (wreck yard). The scale of the gauge is 0-4 (I don't know the British units). I work with a pressure of about 1,5 and the t-connection (zoo supply, aquarium) in the hose opens at about 2 like a safety valve, when one of the ends falls off because of too much pressure. You could take a professional valve, if you think it is safer. I work with this equipment since nearly 40 years for aircraft 1:72 and cars 1:32 and 1:24. The compressor doesn't run a long time, because I do only one colour at a time. If it is overheated, it cuts out but restarts some minutes later after downcooling.

Admin edit: Image upload failed. Please ensure the URL used ends in .jpeg, or alternatively, save the image to your computer and then use the other image uploader

I've noticed that some compressors can be very expensive, I do wonder why. I suppose they are meant to be used for longer periods of time and more frequently than my cheap and cheeful make. There are those that pump up a chamber then cut out, only starting again to pump up the chamber as it's used. are their any advantages to that, where my cheap and cheerful thing just continually compresses?

Continual compressors tend to get hot and got walkabout - ones with a holding tank and cut off only kick in when needed, the airflow also tends to be more consistent. Ultimately you get what yout pay for. My Sparmax compressor is a solid bit of kit, well worth the £175 cost.

• 1 month later...

I thought, this is an interesting alternative for young model builders with a limited budget, but who want tu use an airbrush. You can see that I got good results with this cheap equipment when looking at the models I have posted in Cars and Aircraft. I still work with it (see Humber Snipe and Jaguar cockpit).

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi Wolfe 10

The set-up mentioned earlier from Amazon look like the one I have and it works fine. The included airbrush is OK for most uses, but I do find it some times does tend to clog-up. The compressor has a cut off and a pressure regulator and water trap that sort-of work most of the time, but sometimes a small splattering of water comes though if used on a humid day. The thing with hose connections can be a pain but if you buy the set the hoses should be set-up to connect to the compressor and airbrush. I also have a Badger and an old De Vil Bliss, I think is older than me, and finding connections was a pain. Fortunately I found a place that supplies medical compressores and vacuums to hospital opperating thearters and they were able to fix me up with every thing I needed even put a water trap on my very old piston compessor powered by a Singer sewning machine motor from the 60's.

I would recommend you buy a set like the Amazon one, and practice then practice some more as it's quite a learning curve, even trying to get an all over even finish is not that easy. Then if needs be you can always up-grade to a better airbrush next Christmas.

Remember we do this for fun    John the Pom

Hi Ratch,

"While waiting to get it fixed I bought a cheap Chinese clone brush for £18, this works just as well as the Iwata"

So what is the name of the chinese clone and are they still available ?.

Regards

Hi Pete, the thing about clones is they don't have names (or they would be sued). I picked up the £18 one at Cosford Model Show a few years ago. My LHS had similar ones for £30. You sometimes see them on e-bay. If you're close to Telford, its the biggest model show in the country next weekend with hundreds of traders. It may be your best bet of finding something.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps a wee bit late but if it helps I recently had to replace my ageing Testors Aztec airbrush and after much research opted for the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS which I have to say I'm very happy with so far.

I'm not a frequent user so for me it is pretty easy to use and clean and gives good performance at a psi anywhere between 10 and 30. However you do need to run it off a compressor as the trigger has very little movement downwards to relase the air flow. This means the air is either 'on' or 'off' so control of the airflow has to be done by tweaking the compressor's psi setting to suit a given situation.

Kind Regards

Colin.

• 1 month later...

Hi can anyone help i want to have a go at weathering 1:76 scale locos and unfortunately rushed out and bought a cheap airbrush with horrid results but I've recently bought a badger renegade krome gravity feed and a iwata hp-sar revolution one has a .3 needle and the other comes with a .21 and .3 and was wondering  (A) are these decent airbrushes and (B) are they suitable for what i want to do any advice would be great

Thanks ant