Bachmann MPV DCC fitted

NOC Peter

I have recently purchased a Bachmann MPV with DCC fitted.The first model would not operate on DCC but afer swapping the chip for the blank it worked on DC. So arranged with supplier to return chip for a replacement. Apparently Bachmann chips are in short
supply so took vehicle to Liverpool and exchanged it for a complete replacement which worked when tested. Back on my track still would not work. Am using a Hornby Select controller which works with other Bachmann chips but not the MPV's. Bachmann state problem
with Select controller being spikey and possible change to chip configuration. They had no solution but suggested using a Hornby chip. Any ideas?

Hi,
I bought the DCC ready version and used a Bachmann 21 Pin decoder. It works fine on my Lenz system. Did you try and program the decoder first on your select controller before running it?
Try and reset the decoder and reprogram it again.
I'm
sure its worth for you to try with Hornby Sapphire decoder.
I'm afraid I can't help you with Hornby Select Controller

Hi
Unfortunately, as you're a Select use you cannot reset the decoder as suggested.

I assume you're using address number 3 to initially try the MPV?

I'm unfamiliar with the MPV as it too modern for my layout, but does it have any working

Head/Rear lights? If so, can you turn them On/Off and are they changed over by reversing the MPVs direction of travel? Turning On/Off any lighting would prove you're using the correct address number and that the decoder is receiving the DCC signal correctly.

There

is no real reason why any other make of decoder shouldn't work with the Hornby Select, even if its output isn't as smooth as other DCC systems.

You can, if wished reduce some of these spikes by adding DCC Bus terminator filters (We covered these recently

on this forum). Here...https://www.hornby.com/forums/hornby-forums/hornby-digital/966/

I have just got an MPV as well. I am using a Hornby Elite and I can't get the MPV running. When I put it on the progrsmming track and change a setting then the unit does move a short way whilst the RED LED is flashing but it refuses to run on the track.
I

have reset the unit, CV8 value 8 and I have also tried diffent starting voltages incse it needed a boost to get going.
Do I have a faulty chip or is it an issue with my Elite - I have never had a problem with it so I have never updated the software since

I bought it a few years ago.

FordPrefect

Archived