Spraying a model

I have now returned back to model making after 45years and when I did model making back then every thing was painted using a brush, now it seems as air brushing is the way to go, so could someone point me in the right direction with airbrushing and what kit to purchase bearing in mind I have never used an airbrush before.

After many years I got myself an Iwate Neo. It's a cheap-end version of a very good name; what I also learned was to get a compressor too. Mine was around £65 give or take, I can't remember precisely. The compressor is cheap and cheerful and only designed for a few minutes operating at a time, but, it's got an air regulator knob (which falls off) and an air/moisture trap which attaches to the Neo. For plastic aircraft like we would be using it on, it's quite adequate.

It sounds expensive but it's only a few tins of air that have lack of control, don't last long and have a nasty habit of losing pressure during a spraying which forces one to stop until the can has warmed up again.  You do have to make sure you get the right hose ends to connect - I went through so much hassle I can't give any advice here. It's a Vogue Air, can be bought with or without an airbrush and can still be seen in model shops or online. I got mine without an airbrush since I'd bought the Neo seperately.

The Neo might be a cheap-end version of Iwata (the O-rings can be susceptible) and it can be a bit pesky to clean thoroughly, but there's enough control for me and my needs and even I have produce some adequately fine lines with it (down on the lever for air, back for paint).

As to the kit, it matters not. Whether it's a 1/24 Mosquito or a 1/72 Hurricane, there's also absolutley no substitute for practice. All paints will need thinning, and all of them will vary in the amounts needed - even different colours from the same brand. And then there's practice needed for the right air pressure at any given time for any given purpose. There is no formula for any of it, sorry to say. It's just solid practice. After much frustration, I am getting the hang of it and even in my eyes have managed to get some pretty good results from my set up. For large surfaces I'd not go back to a brush now, despite having used one for many years and not got a bad result overall. When the part is so small and has a different colour to one I am spraying (which can be done in one go) I will use a brush.

That said, I'd not jump in with a 1/24 Mosquito as my first project to spray. Whatever setup you end up with, try it out on loads of plasticard first or a cheap kit you buy for the purpose. You don't even have to make the kit: just practice practice practice.

Don't skimp on masking materials either. I used to think against magic tape that Tamiya (or similar) tape was an unnecessary luxury, but I found it isn't. Either way, Humbrol Maskol is a necessity! You'll end up needing cellulose thinners to clean brushes there.

/media/tinymce_upload/a662497fd31b9c9a291780a54c4eae89.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've upgraded to an Iwata Eclipse and now trying to get to grips with that. Oddly, despite the Eclipse being far more expensive and supposedly having better control, I seemed to get a better result from the Neo. However, that's probably only because I do need to get used to the Eclipse.

Compressor is the same though, and the air regulator knob still falls off.

/media/tinymce_upload/e845f5e92ecef7acb09c18e3bde40bbe.jpgI bought this compressor (well the wife did)Wolfair with tank for £60 from Screwfix

WOW what a beast of a machine

... and raise you one!

Actually this is the smallest industrial compressor available where I live (support for hobbyists is minimal here).

I bought it as it was cheaper than the cost of importing a 'proper' hobby compressor from abroad. The pressure cut-out is actually disconnected at the moment (the rubber diaphram blew), and is to be replaced as soon as I build up my nerve to dismantle all the plumbing involved.

Archived