VW Beetle and Triumph Herald Starter Kits

Amateur modeller

after a 45 year absence, I have resurrected my passion for model building. I bought the VW beetle and Triumph Herald starter kits and the only area I have struggled with is inserting the plastic windows into the frame of the car. I have spent hours trying to fathom out what I am doing wrong but without success. Can anyone provide me with any advice.

Wecome back to the fold!

Not having built either of the to kits you mention, I wouldn't know whether there is any special problem to be addressed. What exactly did you come up against? When I built the Aston DBR9, all I had to do was fix the front/rear screens with a dab of white glue on the inside of the roof (clamped with a big clothes peg until dry), then the two side windows to the door pillars in the same way. One side of the front screen did end up a bit askew, so I filled in with a little white glue, which dries transparent.

Having had a look at a kit review over at The Airfix Tribute Forum (Link), it would appear that the front and rear screens would be a little tricky, seeing as how they have only a very narrow rim to attach to the body shell. I would use a toothpick to apply white glue all round the transparency while holding it using a blob of Blu-tack on a toothpick (or similar), then carefully bringing it up to the frame and hoping the surface tension would hold it there until the glue dried ... do a dry run first to make sure nothing is warped or needs a little sanding to fit properly!

Admin edit: Shortened link

I know only about the Herald: The windscreen and the rear window must be inserted from the outside. It is wrong in the instructions. For glueing don't use glue but apply a small amount of gloss varnish to the frame, then insert the clear parts and let it dry or use special glue as was recommended in another thread. The Herald is not a good kit to start with.

Having had a look at a kit review over at The Airfix Tribute Forum(http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Airfix_1_32_VW_Beetle_1200_A55207_ATF_In_Box_Review_about43774.html), it would appear that the front and rear screens would be a little tricky, seeing as how they have only a very narrow rim to attach to the body shell. I would use a toothpick to apply white glue all round the transparency while holding it using a blob of Blu-tack on a toothpick (or similar), then carefully bringing it up to the frame and hoping the surface tension would hold it there until the glue dried ... do a dry run first to make sure nothing is warped or needs a little sanding to fit properly!

Having had a look at a kit review over at The Airfix Tribute Forum(http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Airfix_1_32_VW_Beetle_1200_A55207_ATF_In_Box_Review_about43774.html), it would appear that the front and rear screens would be a little tricky, seeing as how they have only a very narrow rim to attach to the body shell. I would use a toothpick to apply white glue all round the transparency while holding it using a blob of Blu-tack on a toothpick (or similar), then carefully bringing it up to the frame and hoping the surface tension would hold it there until the glue dried ... do a dry run first to make sure nothing is warped or needs a little sanding to fit properly!

Ah. You were probably confused by the instructions using a black square for "Do Not Cement" vs a black circle for "Transparent Part". I've always wondered why they had that symbol. Anyway, DONT use super glue or regular styrene cement, as they both tend to attack the clear plastic. 'Future' type floor polish can be used, and you can give the windows a thin coat of it to cover up any scratches and make them shine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived