New Hypercar scalextric does not work

Adebola

I bought a new Hypercar set and after assembling the track, I connected the transformer to the base track, plugged it into the wall socket and nothing happened, no red light! I am unable to tell if the problem is with power base or the transformer

Does anyone have any suggestion as to how I sort this out? I currently have 2 disappointed boys waiting to use it :( Many thanks in advance

Hi There,

The set has the newer controllers and plugs so it is fairly impaossible to hook it up wrong, however, the plugs must be pushed "home" and may even make an audible "click" sound when you puch them in.

Is the set brand new?

If not, physically inspect each piece of track and ensure there is now short circuit. A tiney bit of braid bridging the rails will cause a short cricuit and cause the system to shut down. Also look for anay damage or loose wires. Unless it is damaged it is almost impossible for the track not to work.

Check the cars:

If you have access to another track test the cars there, failing that get a 9 volt battery and test them to make sure they are OK. It is very very very rare but if the cars are damaged it might be shutting the system down.

Check the power adapter.

On the back of the power adapter is says what the output voltage of the power adapter is (usually between 12 and 15 volts DC!). Get a voltmeter http://notebook.pege.org/2004-car-adapter/digital-voltmeter_print.jpg (sometimes called a volt-o-meter), set it to a higher voltage (usually 20 volts DC !!) and stick the pins into the plug and see if it is producing current. If you are not getting any current out fo the adapter make sure the wall plug is indeed working (you can use the voltmeter for that as well but switch it to AC!!)

So if the track seems fine, the cars work elsewhere and the power adatper is indeed putting out current you have a broken power base (the bit of track everything plugs into) and I would ask for a replacement/refund from wherever you bought it. Alternatively you could go to some auction site and buy one that is guranteed to work....

Small tip: When (not if!!) you get it working keep the trigers set as low as possible to avoid constant spin offs. I found that my cars were all too different in performance so I use a plug in dimmer to regulate the power down for hours of fun...

Good luck!

Hello,

Many thanks for responsing. It is a brand new set, bought from Amazon. I will make the above mentioned checks, and can already rule out the wall socket as I tested this using another appliance.

I should say I dont hear a click when I have pushed the plugs in and that may be where I am going wrong, oops and very embarrassing if that is the case.

Thanks, once again, I'll make the checks and give an update.

Archived