Pullman liveried utility van

Buz

Hi I have just purchased R4451 called a Pullman luggage van for no other reason than I like it and its close enough colour wise to some Mk I.std coaches I have. I don't recall ever seeing these on pictures of Pullman trains and it doesn't look any where near classy enough for a Pullman train luggage van is this one of Hornby's flights of fancy. or was one done in these colors for some particular special reason. Making it one of Hornby's prototypical but strange choices to make? regards John<span style="line-height: 0; display: none;"></span>

Hi Buz, the van you have purchased was only used on Sir Winston Churchill's funeral train to carry his coffin. www.svsfilm.com/nineelms/wcf.htm This is not a link to click as I am using Firefox and it won't link so copy and paste it. The Pullman trains sometimes used WR full brakes and SR Maunsell vans for baggage. You may be able to get a green version of the van you have and they also could be found on Pullmans. However there are many stories about the WR section asking for their full brakes back from the SR, in BR days.

Hi Vespa, I'll do you're link for you, [url]www.svsfilm.com/nineelms/wcf.htm [url]
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Bechio has done it again for leeds, right into the top corner, Leeds have won the game

Hi Vespa, This is very interesting. You are teaching the Old Man a lot!! I have two kitbuilt toplight gangwayed brakes. So can I use these on a Southern Pullman train with (say) an Arthur on the front, a rake of Pullmans and a GWR gangwayed brake as last coach? Or a Bogie 'B' Southern Van, PMV, or the like?

I have not seen any toplight brakes in any photos I have on Pullmans. There are plenty of photos with utility vans and almost permanently borrowed WR MK1s full brakes. Have a look at www.davidheyscollection.com and go to southern in the index. A brilliant website for photographic reference.

Thank you Vespa. I had a look at David Heys collection but like so much information these days it is 50s and 60s. My period is mid 40s especially 1946 and 1947. I like youtube "Southern Films". But haven't found much as regards Pullman trains except as a couple of coaches in amongst a train of Maunsell corridors. As a child we lived at Staines through WW2 but saw more of Vergeltungswaffe (1 & 2), as Pullmans were not much in evidence!!! Later in 1946 they began to re-appear. By now we had moved to Reading but Pullman trains did not run to Reading South nor did the GWR appear to use them. However on trips to London I saw a Golden Arrow departure from Victoria and The Bournemouth Belle from Waterloo. Later there was the Devon Belle also, that ran on the route of The Atlantic Coast Express via Exeter to The Withered Arm. I never travelled on any of them although I have a vivid memory of going first class on The Cornish Riviera Express including a luncheon in one of Charles Collett's wonderful 12 wheel Restaurant Cars. So a journey on one of those incredible all Pullman trains on the Southern will always be a mystery and a fantasy. It would be good to know just how all these trains were made up. I believe The Golden Arrow (La Fleche D'or) included quite a number of sleeping cars, but just what the individual vehicles were and how it all looked, I have no idea. The sleeping cars MAY have been French vehicles.

Hi the ferrett, You might find Googling - Golden Arrow helpful. I don't think the Golden Arrow ever had "sleepers" as part of its make up - that was the Night Ferry, which did have french built sleeping cars. After leaving London the carriages were loaded onto a ferry bound for France - the train was split and loaded evenly onto the ferry to maintain the correct balance, half on the port side and half on starboard side. Have a read it's quite informative.

Archived