Select Walkabout

brian_mcculloch

Please explain following:

With  Select Walkabout connected to Elite, I can activate lights but no sound features. I read somewhere that you should be able to select up to eight functions.

I also read (somewhere) that the Select does not function with some Bachmann 21 pin chips.

Neither the Elite or Select manuals deal with these issues, indeed I think that Hornby has failed to amend their handbooks with the advent of sound, especially in the case of the Select and Select Walkabout.

While Adam is moving this, the latest Select firmware upgrade, only done by Hornby by returning your Select and paying a fee, allows access to the full range of sound functions.

It is also well understood that the Select isn't fully NMRA DCC compliant and only guaranteed to work with Hornby decoders.  And no, the manual doesn't say this.  If you do a forum search in the DCC forum, there is discussion going bsck a while now on a mod to make it complIant. 

I think that Hornby has failed to amend their handbooks with the advent of sound, especially in the case of the Select

The Hornby Select manual HAS been updated to acknowledge 'Sound'. You can download a copy of the V1.5 manual here. Look at page 17 of the manual (note page 17 as printed on the manual, not page 17 of the PDF file navigation).

The Select does however require that it is upgraded by Hornby to version 1.5 firmware or later to access these new features.

Archived