What's in your ears?

John Symmons

Hi all at Airfix Forum.

My last big build was a Tamiya 350 scale usn battle ship unfortunately I can't discuss it here but while I was adding the rigging and concentrating on the brass etch I treated myself to some music in the CD player, Just to help me concentrate and relax, same as surgons do when opperating, and was wondering do other modellers use the same thing.

So my question is what's favourite grooves in you CDor MP3 player when your modelling?

When I was doing the Missouri there was the gentle strains or Van Morrison, Mr. Zinnerman (Bob Dylan), and Ricky Lee Jones with a few Jackson Browne songs thrown in for good measure. found that mixture very therapeutic at the time. So whats in your ears?

Remember we do this for fun   John the Pom

When I'm building or painting my kits, I'm in the 'spare room' ie 'mostly my room', with the PC, so tend to put a couple of hundred tracks on my iTunes, of many and varied types and just go with that...I do mean 'varied', as I'll listen to most things except heavy metal or anything too modern... well, I AM 50.. 😉

I can listen to modern stuff and I am 53! That said, it very much depends on what I am doing at the time. I'm a man and can't concentrate on too many things at once. Driving in an unfamiliear town/city I simply cannot have the radio on at the same time as I need 100% of my concentration in that area. Once I am in my home town and on familiar turf I am quite happy to have the radio back on.

So what I'm saying is, that though I can have iTunes on with hundreds of tracks (and yes some from last year!) it does very much depend on any modelling situation. Rubbing seams yes, accurate masking, no. Spraying yes but unfortunately this has to be done away from my main source of music. Decalling yes, but attaching delicate parts to vague points or holding them there till the glue has 'bitten', no.

All that said, the music I do have on is a wide range of chart/pop 1960s to today.

• 2 months later...

Amazing how those shows have lasted, wish I could get them on CD in SA but alas.

Still groving to Jackson Browne, Mike Oldfield Tony Cox & Steve Newman if you've never heard of the last two and like really good acustic gitar try them on U-Tube. 

Remember we do this for fun   John the Pom

• 1 month later...

I'm 53 years old.  Big metal fan.  Anything from Iron Maiden, Accept, Metallica to Alice in Chains, Trivium, Alterbridge, etc. etc.

But I'm also happy to play CD's of country, alternative rock, guitar pop and (now and again) a few rusted-on classics (Bowie, The Who, AC/DC, whatever).  Just depends on mood.

Point is, unlike some people (my Wife for example), I don't really cope well with complete silence!

I also contrive various ways to keep building in front of a TV set (mainly recorded documentaries and a few animated shows like The Simpsons and Duckman).

• 2 weeks later...

Any cds/vinyl/tapes that my family haven't "borrowed" from my collection.  That leaves me with blues, classical, jazz, talking books......   The talking books can be a bit distracting though:  found myself clutching a drying out paint brush and staring vacantly into middle distance whilst listening to the end reveal of a who dunnit detective novel.......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Gordon.

I see you've been trolling though some older postings. I was quite surprised tomsee this one re-appear after two years hope it gave you a chuckle. lately been listening to Cafe-De-Mar and Vangells.

Remember we do this for fun                         John the Pom

I'm sorry for posting in such old topics. The other day when I posted in this, I didn't look in at the age of it. I didn't realise it's way ober 2 years old. I thought it was a recently posted topic. I do feel very silly now.  😳

It has given me a chuckle, especially the fact of me not noticing it's age.

Yes, trolling has a different meaning and not a good meaning.

GNR-Gordon-4

Hi Gorden.

Don't be sorry it's nice to see some of these old topics re-surface every once un a while.

As for trolling V trawling; we've been down that rabbit hole once before and I'll not go there again. 

Remember we do this for fun                 John the Pom

PS. It's just like shelling peas.                    JtP