Model quality

robert_black1

I have seen that Hornby are adding their international models to the English website and this is great, but long overdue. However; whilst looking through the vast wonderful models available, it adorned me, how much better the detail is compare to UK models.

Ok its always been like this, but since Hornby broke into these markets, I don't know why they can't bringing in the quality of european models into the UK range? 

The UK prices are fast catching up with european stock yet quality seems to be lagging alot.

How about Hornby looking in to introducing HO scale UK stock too? Starting with our beloved Flying Scotsman

😎

Wishful thinking or serious suggestions???

I don't know why they can't bringing in the quality of european models into the UK range?

They'll go bust because if you want European spec details and features there will be hardly any buyers. Lets see how well Dapol's Black Label range sells first before trying to roll it out for everyone.

The UK prices are fast catching up with european stock yet quality seems to be lagging alot.

Prices are increasing everywhere. The UK's prices lagged behind, but in general model train prices are going uphill.

How about Hornby looking in to introducing HO scale UK stock too? Starting with our beloved Flying Scotsman

Britsh HO, a topic already covered well on every forum possible. It's a niche market. It was tried and tested and did not succeed. OO is well established. As for the Flying Scotsman, it may have travelled to countries like Asutralia and the USA but other than that if any collector or modeler wants to buy one just because of it's fame, they will go for the OO gauge offering.

Something more sensible is models like the Class 58, Class 92, Class 373, Class 374 etc. which have either been exported to foreign countries or travel across the channel on a daily basis. This allows Continental modelers to run British stock prototyically.

Generally speaking Hornby International's quality is a bit higher or rather the level of detail is higher. If you compare the steam locos in HO to that of OO you see that the HO ones capture the prototypes very well. Continental locos do tend to have an array of pipes criss-crossing the boilers. So yes it's more detail.

In terms of detail I think Hornby's diesels are at par with the Hornby International ones.

In terms of electrics Hornby makes cheap ones (excluding the upcoming Class 71) that are over-priced compared to the wonderfully detailed Hornby International ones. I think Rivarossi should do a nice OO gauge British AC electric model.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Continental market is more tolerant of price compared to the UK. Even now some are saying they will have to leave the hobby owing to price.Still the manufacturers have to make a buck to survive even if the market is smaller.

Instead of British H0 I reckon they should have named 00 as British H0. After all Japanese H0 is 1:80 so the scale doesn't need to be harmonious. British H0 at 1:87 should be H0 finescale or something similar. Now that comment is going to be controversial!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

@robert_black1

"How about Hornby looking in to introducing HO scale UK stock too? Starting with our beloved Flying Scotsman"

Whilst I sympothise, I can never see this becoming a reality. It would be like asking Marklin to produce items for two rail. Some things are set in stone and will probably never change.  

Regarding your comments on quality and detail. I have recently purchased Rivarossi's HR2478 BR E251 Ellok. I have to confess, the detail is superb and could easily stand next to one of my Brawa models without shame. As for quality.....it does lack slighlty. On removing the model from the packaging, a number of small detailing components fell from the model. To this date, I have no idea where they came from. The service sheet that comes with the model is so small, that you need to use a magnifying glass.  Something you don't find with the main German manufacturers. But on the whole I am very pleased with this long awaited model of which I give 9/10.

If anyone can lead to a online service sheet and spares supplier, I would be very grateful.

Regards

Bill

I just downloaded what I think is the correct service sheet from here 

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/servicesheets/index/download/id/1668/ 

and it is totally readable and very detailed.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for the PDF file relating to this model.  As you say, the service sheet maintains every detail, even after zooming in. But despite this, I am still unable to locate from the service sheet those items that have come adrift. They either relate to the bogies or the overhaed equipment, as they are coloured red. I'm beginning to wonder if they've come from this model at all as there is nothing obviously missing. The model was bought new whilst in Germany a couple of years ago.

Regards

Bill 

These may well be spares rather than parts that have become detatched.

I have a number of Electrotren models which have come with spare side view mirrors in case of loss or damage. As the parts are red and its a German locomotive you have, which I guess is also red, could these be mirrors also.

These may well be spares rather than parts that have become detatched.

I have a number of Electrotren models which have come with spare side view mirrors in case of loss or damage. As the parts are red and its a German locomotive you have, which I guess is also red, could these be mirrors also.

Interesting angle! but should they actually be spares, I have absolutely no idea where they go. One of the items resembles a axlebox cover with a gerabox and drive shaft but all the axlebox covers on the model are present. The other, I just can't describe.

Many thanks

Bill

Archived