Skew Bridges

the ferret

Is there anybody out there who has tried to make a skewed semi-elliptic girder bridge? I have to take a single line across such a bridge above a low level roadway. The single track is the access to a goods yard. The geometry of the bridge deck alone is giving me problems and I was a professional engineer for forty years albeit with zilch experience in bridge design!! It would have been nice to do the semi-elliptic girders in brass but this has proved to be prohibitively expensive so they will be in plasticard. As the goods yard tracks are parallel to those of the main line the divergence of the bridge is at 12 degrees as it comes off a 5ft radius Peco turnout. There has to be an outbuild from the goods line to provide a pier and anchorage for the skewed span. I am modelling it on the similarly skewed span of Battledown Flyover, a few miles west of Basingstoke. This carries the up line from Winchester to Waterloo across the two tracks (up and down) westwards from Basingstoke to Andover and Salisbury. It is the original LSWR main line.

Archived