Maybe I'll try a Ford 3 ltr GT

John Symmons

Hi all.

I don’t usually post in this forum being a wingy or nautical guy, but I called in at our local model shop, and was looking at all the Airfix car kits. I reckon they had almost the whole catalogue there. I must admit I was very tempted with the Ford 3 litre GT, that was until I saw the price. It was almost as much as the Dornier Do-17Z and now checking on the Airfix shop that that’s true. Now that seems a bit pricey to me and as I’ve been looking for years for a 1/24 Ford GT 40 I thought I’d give the 3 litre a try, but definitely not at that price. I hope they’re worth it.

Remember we do this for fun John the Pom

The kit is not worth the price. It dates from 1969, has less than 50 parts, no interior, no motor, nothing. I often wonder, that they sell such kits, when at the same time there are the highly acclaimed new-tooled kits. Perhaps these old kits are of some interest for a kit collector, but not for a model builder.

I often wonder, that they sell such kits, when at the same time there are the highly acclaimed new-tooled kits. Perhaps these old kits are of some interest for a kit collector, but not for a model builder.

A lot of us nostalgia buffs buy this sort of thing and in any case if you want a Ford 3 litre there's not much else to choose from. It's currently marketed as a gift set, if they don't sell particularly well it's unlikely to reappear. I bought an old second hand one off ebay for less than the gift set.

Fujimi do a rather nice series of 1/24 GT 40 kits, they're easy enough to obtain if you buy direct via ebay.

• 2 weeks later...

I often wonder, that they sell such kits, when at the same time there are the highly acclaimed new-tooled kits. Perhaps these old kits are of some interest for a kit collector, but not for a model builder.

A lot of us nostalgia buffs buy this sort of thing and in any case if you want a Ford 3 litre there's not much else to choose from. It's currently marketed as a gift set, if they don't sell particularly well it's unlikely to reappear. I bought an old second hand one off ebay for less than the gift set.

Fujimi do a rather nice series of 1/24 GT 40 kits, they're easy enough to obtain if you buy direct via ebay.

The truth is that if you want a 1:24 scale car kit these days you need to go to Rev*ll, Tami*a, Aosh*ma, Fuj*mi or He**er! 

But that has always been pretty much the case, apart from whenever Airfix have re-boxed other brands. It appears to be that the current management doesn't think that 1/24 cars fit the company business model and unlike Revell/Monogram for instance have no (none?) extensive back catalogue of car kit tooling in 1/24. I'm sure this must be a topic of discussion for Airfix product development from time to time, but with no big history in respect of the genre/scale I wouldn't be holding my breath on the likelihood of them ever changing tack.

Archived