Engine service

Moomintroll

Hi,

I'm relativly new to this so sorry if this is a stupid question and the answer is DIY... But I've bought a number of trains for my some in the Thomas the tank engine range and some of them such as Henry... I've had to buy from Ebay as sadly

Hornby has stopped manufacturing them. These trains all work and are in the main in good shape but have issues such as the train/tender connector looses connection/shorts, some of the wheels have bad electric contacts...
I read people having trains 'serviced',

Can anyone recomend somewhere I could send a train and get it back working like it did when new?

Thanks
M

Hi Moomintroll, This is largely dependent on where you live. Most decent model shops will help you but while your best bet is to contact Hornby themselves, I have had excellent service from my local model shop called "Signals". They are located in Holly

Court Shopping Arcade, Midsomer Norton, N.E.Somerset BA3. phone 01761 402484. Ask for John.

I had a Bachmann N class mogul (Southern) with a distorted running plate due to incorrect assembly. Also an Airfix Prairie that was running like a bag of nails

and kept stopping very suddenly.

John sorted both locos out and both now run beautifully. He charged me £17 - 50p for both together. What better service can you ask?

Tender to loco plugs and sockets can always be replaced but bad pick up from

wheels is most likely dirty wheels and also track. Invest in a Hornby Track Cleaning Rubber (Hornby's is the best, really!) and clean the wheels with a suitable solvent. Don't spill the solvent on the loco body. You just might dissolve it!!!

Best of

luck from a Ferret.

Archived