Problems with RailMaster iPad app

Nick_

In which case it is most likely a browser issue.

Image 1) page I got using Firefox to go to the http://www.my-apps.eu/ page. Note the browser in the brackets is the browser the page detected, it is not supposed to be read as being one of the supported browsers. The text of the info box is a bit misleading. Note: if you are using Firefox and you don't get the screen as per image 1) then see the comments further below about browser extensions.

/media/tinymce_upload/b83ce0549d0f101e9e1ed05b3b80d065.jpg

Image 2) page I got using Chrome to go the http://www.my-apps.eu/ page.

/media/tinymce_upload/07d482249f71f4c0001b0307035c1608.jpg

If you are already using one the supported browsers. Then the blue screen is probably a browser extension issue. For example, the APP download page may require Adobe Flash Player to function. You may have an out of date version of Flash installed (or it is not installed at all). Flash usually needs to be added to the browser and kept updated manually. The exception to this is Chrome, where Flash is installed and version controlled as standard by Chrome.

To update (or install Flash Player). It is important to use the browser (other than Chrome) on which you want to perform this action. Flash is browser specific, thus the installer needs to detect which browser version you want. So assuming you are currently using the browser you want to install / update Flash one then click this link:

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

The page above may take a few moments to fully load. Be sure to UNTICK the 'Optional Offers' in the middle column once they appear. Clicking 'Install Now' will download the Flash installer for your specific browser version. Once the file is downloaded just run the file and follow on screen prompts.

Downloading and running the RailMaster hand-held app is very straightforward.  Just entering www.my-spps.eu into your browser on your device (Safari on Apple devices and Chrome on Android devices) causes the app to download and start.  It will then immediately try to connect to the PC running RailMaster.  It will not find it as you need to specify the IP address and port number of the RailMaster PC.  After doing this it should run fine every time.

What we have found in some cases on Apple devices is that it may not show the red RailMaster HandHeld app progress box in the centre of the screen when starting up, although this is very rare.  Clearing the cache on Safari (within settings on your Apple device) seems to resolve this.  When you have cleared the cache just start again by going into Safari and entering www.my-apps.eu into the address bar.  This downloads the app from our own servers (not iTunes) and runs it.  It appears that on very rare occasions the Safari cache can cause problems.  Try it and see what happens.

We would be interested to know if this does not resolve the issue on Apple devices.  You can email support@rail-master.com.

The RailMaster hand-held app does not require any special extensions or settings on the device or on the browser.  It has been made as simple as possible to download and run.  Having said that we are aware of the issue with pinch-to-zoom on Android devices running Chrome versions after 35 and have published details on this forum of how to download Chrome 35 to get around this issue for the time-being.  This only affects pinch-to-zoom on the track plan on Android devices and nothing else.

My misunderstanding. I thought the application was being downloaded on a PC as a standalone installer to be loaded onto and run on the device to be installed on. Didn't appreciate that it was downloaded as an Android Smart Phone or iPad/iPhone APP. Thinking about it more deeply now. That makes sense. My mistake as I only use a PC. I don't own a 'Smart Phone' or 'IPad' Android or otherwise.

The iPad mini has the same internals as the larger, but older iPad 2. IOS 9.3.5 is the most current version of IOS for the iPad 2 and the iPad mini.

@the Captain90

I am using an iPad 2 (with IOS 9.3.5) and I can download and run the Railmaster app (disconnections not withstanding).

Presumably you are using Safari to attempt the download from www.my-apps.eu?

How must spare memory do you have (Settings, General, Capacity), I'm not saying low memory is the problem, but it might be?

I also assume you can access any other website you might chose without a problem?

@HRMS

Why is it that everyone who writes these apps for phones only concentrate on those pesky Snapple and Giggle contraptions and NOT Windows phones? Ah yes, it is the way MS lock their code down to stop free for all apps running on their precious systems.

What is it about a Windows phone that makes programmers scared of getting their hands dirty by circumventing the routines that stop apps working?

I've handled all makes of phones and don't understand the collective obsession of either of these makes except the situation that arises because one friend has one of them the other MUST have one too.

The lack of an app for the Windows phone so it can be used as a hand held is appalling. I know all about MS locking down the code for the phone etc. and making it difficult for apps to be run as they should but that does NOT preclude Hornby or others from pressurising MS to allow apps to run on these excellent devices. It IS after all in their inglorious favour. The fact that it is only a watered down Windows version is not of any significance either. Apps will work - they only needs building. As long as no pressure is afforded to MS then they will sit back and just gleen more pounds for nothing... although I must admit my phone is a phone and not a gimmick for apps... still, everyone to their own and to all on here with devices who do use them for the app to play trains then great. Shall we begin a petition to get MS to build an app? He asks in jest... :-)

Actually the app nearly does work on a windows phone by running www.my-apps.eu in the browser. It probably wouldn't take that much effort to make it work fully. I have tested  it on a windows phone (mobile 8.1) and can control a loco but the second throttle is not available and neither is the track plan

if you have a surface tablet then you can run a slave instance of Railmaster connected to your main Railmaster. Hattons are currently selling copies of Railmaster for £5!!

That's interesting Nick... I only tried it on Win Phone v 7.5. That was a Lumia 610 which was upgraded from Win 7 (not upgradeable further though).

My next phone was the Lumia 630 which was 8.1 which I upgraded to Win 10 but didn't try the app. I now have a Lumia 650 with Win 10 and obviously from that you can see I ain't attempted to run the app there either.

Reasons? I am going to use a Windows 8.1 tablet (V5) upgraded to Win 10 as a hand held. The 8" screen will give more flexibility and offers more on screen obviously. The touch screen functionality here is excellent.

I still have the other phones but as stated couldn't get the 610 to work at all really with any modicum of success worthy of use.

Still rather beggars the question that MS should open up the OS on their phones to allow apps of this nature to run freely.

While some will say that Windows 10 on a tablet or phone may not be the full Windows 10 experience I disagree. Why? Windows 10 in its carnation on a laptop or PC may be different in that extra features are there for full functional operation and these are stripped away for mobiles etc... it still remains that the core of the OS is still there and THIS is what constitutes an OS... NOT the extras added for laptops/PC's or tablets etc.

Other bits are added for phones to be used to their almost max capability but why would MS add more and lose sales on tablets then laptops where manufacturers install the OS at cost? It's all about maximising profit. And that, of course, is where Mr Public, pays the price ultimately for several gadets to do different jobs.

All the talk of not being able to add functionality to a phone to get apps working is an anomoly of the shareholders pocket not being filled with hundreds of dollars I'm afraid. The technology is already there... they choose to utilise it for profit and not the needs of the general blokey who wants to play trains etc...

Microsoft 'Windows' can be a bit confusing in that it comes in various 'flavours'.

There is what we all know and love as Windows i.e. it runs on Intel X86 (32bit) or i64 (64bit) CPUs and that is the version found on all Windows PCs, Laptops and hi-end tablets (Surface 3, 3 Pro, 4 Pro etc). These will all run the full RailMaster program.

Then there is Windows 'Mobile' which runs on Phones and low-end tablets. Its UI looks basically the same and some of the underlying core source code is the same but it runs on processors based on the ARM architecture. It cannot run the full RailMaster program

There was also Windows RT which is a now obsolete operating system for low-end tablets which can't run full RailMaster program either

The RailMaster 'App' (from www.my-apps.eu) is not a 'native' app, instead it runs in a browser (I'm guessing it's actually written in JavaScript or similar) and thus theoretically could run in a browser on any computer, not just an iPhone or Android phone though it does check the browser and will only run if it thinks it is either Chrome or Safari. Indeed I've run it on my laptop in the Chrome browser and it appears to function perfectly.

If one has a tablet running 'full' Windows 10 then it should be possible to install the 'full' RailMaster and us it as a slave to the RailMaster connected to the eLink or Elite. If the table is running Windows mobile 10 (or 8.1) then it may well be possible to run the 'App' in ther browser, its certainly worth a try.

AS I previously said I have tried the App on my Windows 8.1 Mobile phone (Lumia 635) and it works to a degree. I suspect the problem is that the app does not recognise the screen size an dis unable to re-size itself properly.

Of course, ARM architecture... I'd honestly forgotten that tiny detail. So for all apps to have a chance of running on Windows phones without too many issues MS need to get rid of that processor and use a better one... which shouldn't be too difficult.

But hey, they needs their money and although we could do with a system that runs apps like RM I don't see MS jumping through hoops to deliver it, unfortunately. On the other hand... would it really be so hard to just sort a workaround or just make them work no matter what... but then Hornby would need to rewrite the code etc... ah well.

The ARM based processors used in Windows phones are the same processors as used in Android phones and similar to the processors used in iPhones.  They are all based on the ARM architecture. Native apps are not directly  transferrable between them because of the different operating systems, not the underlying hardware. 

Archived