What is a consist?

Dazzler down under

Hi guys, sorry about the stupid question i feel like a noob asking, but what is a consist? From what i can gather it is used for double heading, i guess what i wanna know is will it merge control of 2 trains? If so do they need to be double headed? 

What i wanna do is have, on a twin oval track, 2 trains running on each line with the capability to control the 4 trains as if they were 2 so i can have 1 on either end of the layout running without catching up with each other and the ability to slow/speed 2 trains on 1 line at the same time with 1 adjustment of the dial  just like if you had 2 trains on 1 line on dc both trains will slow. Can this be done on dcc?

Also, in regards to speed of locos, am i correct in assuming id have to pick 2 locos to pair up and  adjust speed settings via the elite on each till they run at close to the same speed? Is there an easier way to achieve this? Is it even possible?

Once again sorry for the dumb question, I'm sure this is alll common knowledge to most. hope  ive been clear enough for you guys and thanks in advance for any help.

Dazzler has been dazzled by the instruction book!

A consist is two separate DCC loco's with separate codes, physically coupled together (a double-header), and set up in the controller to work on one code-number - to work together, in the same direction and speed - even if one is facing the other way.

If the consist is de-selected, the two loco's then operate independantly on their original code-numbers.

What you are trying to do, if I understand your explanation, is run two complete trains not coupled together, in the same direction and speed on the same 'circle' of track. It CAN be done under manual control, but you'd need very fast fingers to keep them from catching each other up at some point!

It might work if you set them up as a consist, but not physically coupled together, providing both trains run at EXACTLY the same speed! I think you will find it is a crash waiting to happen, though!

Hey Daz. I use Railmaster to do the same thing you want so I am not sure what the elite is capable of, but the only thing double heading in RM does is to send the same speed command etc to the engine. If the speed curves in the engine chip dont match, then one train will catch the other. It is easy to match speeds with RM but with an Elite, I think you would be better served by keeping each engine seperately controlled.

And if all else fails, just do the hand of God, and grab trains if necessary

You double/triple head locos with the Elite and even with the Select. All explained very simply in their manual so I will not repeat it here word for word.

Be aware that there are various sorts of consist/double header depending upon your controller, operating application and/or your decoder.

1. The decoder retains the details of the consist, hence it has its own address and the address of the consist and needs to be told which one to listen for.

2. The controller retains the details of the consist, hence the decoders do as they are told by the controller.

3. The application (say RM) retains the details of the consist. This allows the app to double head decoders that would not normally be so capable.

Archived