Testing a live steam A4?

Steamerphil

Hi all,

First post on here, hoping for a little advice.

I have bought (on a whim!) a live steam A4, but it is one of the sets without a controller; when I bought it I didn't know you needed a special 'live steam' controller.

I know I should have done more research before buying it, but is it possible to test it on a rolling road with just a normal DC controller; I know it picks up power through the tender wheels?

Thanks all

Phil+

Welcome to the forums Phil, but No - No - No.

For a start the live steamers pickup power to boil their water from the track as well as for control, so its not a digital DCC signal and straight analogue DC won't work either as it may provide enough power to boil the kettle,  but no intsruction as to what to do with it..

Go back in this forum and look at GoWest knocking up a DIY radio control for his live steamers and you will get a good idea of whats involved.

I also put a link on here somewhere to a live steam tutorial demo, that should explain a lot.

Any more questions then please come back and ask, but don't press that blue arrow or you will repeat all the waffle I have just posted as well as your own reply. Just to the bottom of the page and type in the blank box.

Rob

Thanks very much Rob,

I had a feeling that might have been the answer......

I've now had the chance to look around at a few of the videos and things on youtube about how to run these things, and I might have bitten off more than I'd planned to chew! It was bought on a whim as my lad has an OO layout and I thought it might have been a good gimmick to get out occasionally. (I do 7mm myself)

I'll have a think about whether I want to finance another expensive controller; but I have a feeling i might be selling this loco on.

Thanks again

Phil

Hi Steamerphil ,,,,,,,,before you sell it try this ,,,,Google  ,,oolivesteam.com ,it's a forum run by HORNBY live steam enthusiasts and one of the guys that run it is the inventor of the HORNBY live steam ,,anyway they have a for sale section ,there might be a  CONTROLER set on there for sale ,or they attend model shows all over the country ,one may be near to you and you could take it there for them to run on there track or on eBay at the moment there are some for sale ,,,just out of interest what A4 do you have ,,,,,thanks Martin 

Archived