R9257 Spencer

Shadow.Monk

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went to a local model shop this morning and purchased a Hornby Henry (yay!)

I also asked about Spencer, I got told that Hornby should get them in stock on June the 25th, which is a shame as I was first told May 7th and I was quite excited for

that date ;(

now i said this a little while ago about a first edition spencer and a new release. As i own a first edition , mint and never even run, i was wondering what it would do to the value of my first edition. the general view was that my first edition would

hit the bottom but it seems people are thinking along the same lines as me. for the benefit of the tape i will be purchasing both the new spencer and his coaches.

If you look at the fuller picture it's slightly different. Spencer was selling for over £200 pre-anouncment and having sold a few myself at this silly price, I can tell you he reached £200 within a day of going on-line. Now he is trading at a much more

modest premium over list price and should for the following reason. If you want a Spencer, then their is no guarentee that Hornby will actually get this model on the shelves (They seem to be canceling a lot on 2012 line-up) so buying one from EBay derisks

the purchase and that costs. That said it only takes 2 people who don't realise the new one is coming out to bid up the price to silly levels.

I think hornby will release spencer but i also think second quarter

will turn into 3rd, maybe even 4th quarter. my thinking behind this is that he has been long anticipated to return and will be high on christmas lists. to be honest i would have like to have seen them put their efforts into bringing out a new character, something

like daisy. also if you look at this years releases i help but think they are aimed at the collector rather than the layout enthusiast.

I'm not sure if you missing this, but the prices for Spencer have already collapsed! The last 4 spencers on EBay went for: £110, £51.05, £77 and £124.25. Prior to the anouncment of new Spencer they were selling for in exces of £220.

Maybe we can

finally put this to bed, The only way Spencer is going to be worth Silly money in the near future is if Hornby cancle the model.

I doubt I will ever convince you of how market price discovery works as I suspect your long one or two spencers and thinking your sitting on a fortune but either way the market has collapsed.

We have two sources of data, Ebay, the largest auction

site in the world, a site which is available to the entire WWW and in terms of price discovery is very transparent. I.e. you do a search for finished auctions and it shows you the price they traded for and when.
Then we have some guy told another guy that

his mate sold a Spencer in a local fair attended by a few hundred people for £280. It migth be in said fair the spencer changed hands, it might be it even changed hands for £280, equally it could have changed hands for less than £80. The problem is Humans

exagerate, make up stories to impress their friends and down the pub, telling your mates you got hosed on the Spencer sale is not as apealing as telling them you made a fortune. Ebay does not have this problem as the site had no bias or mates to impress

I'd really like spencer for my collection.....but

£280,i'll avoid devorce and wait for the second coming!

I have to say, begrudgingly i might add, that i agree with you on the drop in spencer worth (only because i have first edition :) ). it will drop because only collectors will be interested whilst the people who want

to run them on a layout will wait for the second release to come along. what i would really like to find the answer to here is just how many of the first lot were produced to make them so rare?

Does it really matter what they're worth. Are you buying the models as an investment, because you'll lose out if you are?
I used to collect Matchbox Models of Yesteryear. I had some very rare limited editions. When I decided to get rid of them all because

I didn't want them anymore, I got £10 for a box of twelve.
The limited editions cost about a tenner fifteen years before.

Have to disagree Moonmin, Ebay prices aren't as a reliable guide as you think. I am a retailer in model railways myself so know the market inside out, things can go for silly money on eBay one day, then fetch peanuts the next, it all depends on who is

bidding on the day. It's not a reliable source for real world pricing as it can be so variable, you have to say well it fetched so and so on such and such a day, not this is what it is worth.

As for the Spencer that sold, I was actually there when

a guy next to me bought if off the trader, carn't get better than that. That sort of price on the fairs for a mint clean first issue Spencer isn't unusual. Train fair prices tend to be more accurate as they usually reflect the market and indeed the Ramsay's

price guide as a rule, there will always be exceptions of course.

Moving on, I have to agree with WTD, buying models as an investment isn't a good idea as a rule.

Archived