Support the format

West Six

As someone downsizing to Micro Scalextric, it does puzlle me why Hornby seem to regard this as the poor man's version.  Nobody turns their nose up at HO railways, but Micro Scalextric seems to be poorly supported all round.  With a bit of effort, a few new cars available separately, and a bit of imagination on some new track pieces, it could hold it's own.  As it is you have to hunt out discounted sets to get new cars. And Hornby appear not to even bother selling track separately. There seem to be no resources anywhere on the web for alternate track layouts without buying one of the bigger sets. With firms like Viper really trying hard it shows there is a real demand for better kit. 

I think a lot of people share your frustrations West Six. Although the development team have looked at making Micro "hold its on", as you say, little has made it in to production - the release of four single cars being the only exception I can think of. I guess the reason comes down to Hornby focusing on its core brands and Micro only really existing to act as a Christmastime money-maker and pathway to the bigger 1/32 cars.

That's sad, because Micro - or HO Scale - can definitely hold its own in today's small homes. Scalextric could produce a few highly detailed Micro versions of its 1/32 stable each year and it could adapt the ARC One and/or ARC Air systems to Micro track. And it could produce a corner radius to fit inbetween the standard curve and the hairpin and/or one to go outside the standard curve. Suddenly Micro would be a viable option as a serious hobby and a very serious global competitor with other HO brands like Tomy AFX and Auto World. I am sure enough people would be prepared to spend more on new 'premium' Micro products like detailed cars.

However, I am not optimistic these changes will happen as they would be a risk for Hornby, at a time when the company is focussing on its core brands. With a bit of research (you've already found Viper), there is lots out there to make HO scale slot cars a brilliant hobby and much of the stuff is sold in the UK too.

Have fun!

Thanks Woodcote, interesting comments.  To me the firms making the most of things are those who hit a niche market and cater for it, and Scalextric could have their supposed cash cow Xmas sales with Microscalextric as well as the more serious hobbyist. I've been checking out the new stuff coming from AFX online and it's hard not to think Scalextric could take a trick or two from their developments, although I appreciate the US is a much bigger potential market.  However by picking up a second MS set, and combining this with a charity shop find, we've built quite a nice track now.  I shall try and hunt out some more cars and then experiment with moving the magnets further up from the rails to make driving more of a challenge.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi there are other pieces of track that would make micro scalextric much more interesting such as cross overs and long chicanes found in the normal scalextric sets that seem to be lacking in micro sets.

I noticed that the old MR1 or Marchon track used to feature cross overs and i have seen some for sale on ebay but you need the special converter track to connect it to micro track which is a shame as i would love to have cross overs as part of my layout.

All the MR1 track pieces have been reproduced in Micro Scalextric, apart from those 9" Switch-Over tracks.

In addition to the 15" wiggle track, 9" chicane, 90-degree crossing (MR1 'Crash Track') loop-the-loop (now back in production), three lengths of straight (6, 9 and 15 inches), a 90-degree and 45-degree corner, plus banked curves, Scalextric have added the hairpin, the 'island' / roundabout track (plus single lane extensions), the elevation (or 'half pike') pieces and the excellent Micro Scalextric lap counter. Many of these pieces come in a wide range of track colours and paint effects.

It would be nice to have the switch-over tracks though :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi is there anywhere you can buy the Island single lane extentions from as i could do with getting about six of these if possible as i have got 6 island pieces but i could do with being able to buy just the single lane extention pieces of track to extend my track layout?

These are some photographs of our communal room in our high rise block of flats that i thought you might be interested in that we use for scalextric racing nights - just for a bit of fun not serious racing - for the over 45s and i think the women have shown more interest in it than the men and so i have uploaded a few of the layouts that i have made up for us to race on - hope you like them.

The G8002 Island Hazard was sold with two of the single-lane extensions. You do see them on eBay, sometimes in their original packaging. The Hazard + extensions also came in the G1004 Super Grand Prix set (Jordan vs Sauber) and G1006 Super Grand Prix set (Jordan vs McLaren). The Island Hazard without the single-lane extensions came in lots more sets - so those single-lane extensions are some of the rarer Micro Scalextric track pieces.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Ive been eally trying hard to promote the Micro Scalextric product and spread it to a wider audience.  So far I've built 10 fully scenic Micro Scalextric layouts in the last 6 months and theyve all sold really quickly.  I truly believe in this scale of slot car and will continue to build/sell/promote Micro Scalextric./media/tinymce_upload/a8034dbbe1a0622dc407a29d27e4e485.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/b36a30e13c28b9c79451ec197fa29433.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/2e9fbf48cdaae36a1505f6f82612d128.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/c4c176353c2be9fafebb807e2459480a.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/1b62e3db1e755fd4ea83324af9dfa5da.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/98f45aba08415ba3efa9a0313c44be6a.jpg

Hi, Ive been eally trying hard to promote the Micro Scalextric product and spread it to a wider audience.  So far I've built 10 fully scenic Micro Scalextric layouts in the last 6 months and theyve all sold really quickly.  I truly believe in this scale of slot car and will continue to build/sell/promote Micro Scalextric./media/tinymce_upload/a8034dbbe1a0622dc407a29d27e4e485.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/b36a30e13c28b9c79451ec197fa29433.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/2e9fbf48cdaae36a1505f6f82612d128.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/c4c176353c2be9fafebb807e2459480a.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/1b62e3db1e755fd4ea83324af9dfa5da.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/98f45aba08415ba3efa9a0313c44be6a.jpg

Cool stuff Ian, keep up the good work.

See you tomorrow. Much to discuss:)

Hi Alex - welcome to the forum. Yes! I was lucky enough to have a play with pre-production samples of the new system this week and I really liked it - it’s a huge step away from what came before, but a very positive step in my opinion.

I put together this video to share my first impressions with 1/64 scale enthusiasts: 

There’s also more info and discussion on Slot Forum: https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=187273

I’ll start a thread here next week.

Archived