Wiring 2 Peco PL-50 from the same supply

Castle-Man

I love the Peco PL-50 with PL-26 switches.  They make wiring up point moters so easy especially if like me you are happy to bring all 3 wires back from the motor.  They work well and are a tidy smart solder free solution.

Now I know that you can add more to the PL-50 using PL-51.  However if you want to add anoth 3 switches it is actually cheaper to use a second PL-50.  Which is what I am about to do to add some extra points.

So the question is, "Is there any reason why the second PL-50 should not be connected to the CDU together with the first?"  Providing ploarity is consistant I really can not see any reason why there should be a problem but wanted to check.

I have previously documented Peco PL-50 and PL-51 in replies. The PL-50 is a switch housing for Peco PL-26 switches. Additional PL-51 housings can be added to extend the capacity of the PL-50 from 3 to more than 3 (no upper limit is specified by Peco, but common sense would prevail).

PL-50

PL-51

PL-26

In answer to CM's question, there is no technical reason why multiple PL-50s cannot share the same CDU. After all at the end of the day, they only house basic switches from the Peco PL range. In my view, adding the extra PL-51 extenders would be a neater solution.

The PL-50 inputs would be wired in parallel to your CDU output.

Thanks Chrissaf that is what I was hoping.  Agreed about being tidier but I have been offered a housing (PL-50) complete with 3 (PL-26) switches already fitted for less that the price of 3 (PL-51) extenders so seems silly to not go for that.

To the other posters sorry that I used the part numbers.  Unless you knew what they were then a name really would be of no use.  Would you really have been any wiser if I had said turn out switch module and turn out switch module Add on.  Surely in the case of special parts that are exclusive and unique to one manufacturor then the only option is to say the mnufacturor and the part number.  

I suppose I was also directing the question only to people that had used or were familiar with these items and just assumed that anyone who did not know what they were would just pass it by. That way answers are more likely to be knowledgable.

I personally, would rather have part numbers to work with than vague descriptions. However, I think Roger may have been suggesting using both. Descriptions PLUS part numbers. But as you say, a question aimed at members who are already familiar with the product is the better outcome.

Yes, can I use one CDU with several Peco point switches (plus the part number) would have been more helpful. Anyway you got your answer, I hope.  😀

I have lots of different components on my layout and couldn't quote a single part number. So if the title said Peco point switch I'd have thought I can probably help. If it had said DCC flange bracket I wouldn't have even looked at it.  😆

Archived