Airfix 0-4-2 traction tyres.

Castle-Man

I see that the part number for the Hornby ones is X8063 and that it also has 4 where the Airfix has 2.  What I would like to know though is are they the same size so that you could fit a pair of the Hornby ones to an Airfix model?

And yes I do know that one of the recommendations for better running is to remove them completely.   😆

WTD couldn't agree more was just going from the the Hornby HSS 277G Class 14XX Service sheet which just points to wheels and then lists the spares part number and quantity as 4.

I am sure that it is probably 2 and 2 spare however the number fitted on either model is kind of irellevent. My question was actually are the current parts correct for the old Airfix model?  Sometimes things are and other times they are not. As an example the motor and drive train are totally different so I did not want to just assume that the wheels and tyres were identical.

I believe the Hornby wheels are finer than the chunky Airfix originals, but I think the tyres are still the same size. If not there is a product called bullfrog snot which makes traction tyres or you could replace the wheelset with a non tyred set  (14xx didn't tend to pull big trains anyway)

Thanks all will try a Hornby set.   I know that they can be troublesome and mine sometimes runs ok all be it not fast  but at other times is jerky and makes a noise.  Which is possibly the pickups not providing constant power.  Using it only with one railcar so does not have to be brilliant.  Plan to change the brushes, clean the commutator, pickups and wheels.  One tyre came off when running so figure that means I should replace them.  Have already sparingly oiled the wheel axles and con rods as per sheet.  Can not see any fibre to oil at the motor and service sheet does not mention it.  As the motor turns very freely will probably leave that.

Will see how it is after that.  

The other thing that I have done because I read on another forum that it  can be an issue was to cut a small length of electrical shrink-wrap tube and slide it over the spring that goes down through the chassis and powers the lower brush.  Apparently that has been known to short against the chassis.

The other thing that I have done because I read on another forum that it  can be an issue was to cut a small length of electrical shrink-wrap tube and slide it over the spring that goes down through the chassis and powers the lower brush.  Apparently that has been known to short against the chassis.

Archived