New project for GoWest...

96RAF

Great stuff Ken.

What a mind set we had in those days. Make do and mend, plenty of ingenuity and precious little money. And lots of scrap yards to root through for parts and materials.

I had a mains motor from a washing machine rigged up on my bench to test car generators and later alternators after repairs, then the generator was pressed into service strangely enough as a lawn mower drive with a car battery perched on top of the chassis. It only had one speed when you pressed the Mini (floor mounted type) starter button on the handlebar and it kept you fit chasing after it.

As you say building these things teaches you many skills, not only which parts are what for and why, but also their associated materials and the different ways you have to work them. 

Rob

I did the same thing with my dads lawn mower then 17 years old I fitted a small motor bike engine to this mower and took it to a long garden for testing in bottom gear you had to run behind it the cut grass shot over the top of the grass box clearing it by about 3 feet!

we never got into second or top gear.

yoga might get me moving a bit better or maybe a robot arm just to put me socks on they say you know when your getting old when you can clean your teeth and whistle at the same time.

/media/tinymce_upload/017e6494447895d1ff64d7769df98320.JPG

But as this forum is about Hornby live steam and not wishing to upset Adam by filling up this space with my health problems this morning looking at the new radio control unit I'm running out of space in the box. Still will need to make a new bigger box the only problem is this box above is about the largest size my 3D printer will build so will have to make it in 2 parts and glue it together.

Ken

Archived