Lima George V voltage?

Castle-Man

I recetly obtained a Lima George V in resonable condition.  (Tender Driven) At first I had a bit of trouble getting the tender wheels down on the track.  However it would run fine both forward and backwars with the the loco wheels on the track and that back and middle tender wheel on the track and the front one raised up.  Anyway with a bit of screw adjustment and bending the bracket I just about managed to get all of the wheels down and level properly.

However shortly after that the train suddenly stopped and I spied the dreaded whisp of smoke coming from the tender.  I have not yet stripped it but I suspect that I am going to find a blown motor.  The motor had been running on high resistance but not long before this i set the resistance to normal on the Controller which possily did not help.

Since then I have read somewhere that the Lima engines were designed for 9V and not 12V.  Could this be the issue here or just a case of a motor that has not been used for a while?  Puzzled if it is as I have a Lima Mini Prairie which runs fine on the same setup.  If it is a voltage issue can you have the motor re-wound for 12v or even get a better replacement.  Of course i may just find when I strip it that a cog has jammed and caused it but would like to know the full facts first.

One last thing, does anyone have a link to a service sheet please.

thanks

Little or no cross matching of parts with Hornby models apart from motor brushes and springs, the Lima UK outline Steam locos were dire. They suffer from mazak rot to the weights causing chassis distortion, bad tender wheels on the crab are an issue, distorted frames on the King are common to find due to mazak rot in the chassis weight, the same for the J50 and 94xx they suffer from weight metal swelling due to mazak rot.

It sounds like you have a motor armature coil gone. Locos should be lubricated before use if not used for some time, it's possible the loco has seized up a bit if it has been stored a while.  Loco should run on 12V with no bother.

The armatures can be re-wound and magnets re-magnetised, Scalespeed are one company who does such work.

The loco itself runs very freely you can push it along and all wheels rotate and valve gear if free.  Until it stopped the tender also ran well appart from the fact that it would not sit on the rail.  Need to fnd some time to strip and have a good look.

Archived