Opening Humbrol Washes....

This will seem a really stupid post, but I have several bottles of Humbrol Enamel Washes that I cannot for the life of me open (These are the ones in the small glass bottles with the "child proof" safety cap, which also appears to be middle-aged modeller proof!).   I have no problem with the same cap on large bottles of Clear or varnish.

The instructions are clear - push down and turn, which I do.   The outer cap rotates and you can hear/feel a "click" as if it is trying to lock onto the inner cap, but it sort of bumps past that point.

I am putting considerable pressure on the cap, but have also tried everything I can think of, including pulling on it (also using leverage from pliers etc.   I havent tried hot water (yet...)

Can some kind soul please help me retain my sanity and prevent me turning to a much larger bottle with an easily removable cork?

I have the same problem with Decalfix.  I usually put the bottle on the table top and hold it with my left hand then press down really hard with my right and rotate it slowly so that the top part grips the lower part solidly and starts to unscrew. 

I know some parents who find it difficult to open child proof bottles ........ so they give them to their kids who manage quite easily! 😆

Hi Ossian

Have you tried simple boiling water, as I had something simular a few months back with a Taniya bottle and found boiling carefully poured over the top, so ar not to crack the glass, did the trick. When you do finally get the lid off be sure to clean the top and jar threads of any redidual paint, and put some Vasaline on the threads before you replace the lid. That should ensure that the next time the top should unscrew easily. If you haven't any Vasaline you could try plumber's PTF tape. Hope this helps.

Remember wse do this for fun                 John the Pom

• 2 years later...

I've just had this problem, put all sorts of pressure on to this bottle but just clicks. I got annoyed with it, so much so that I accidentally pulled the white lid off, only to reveal a clear plastic seal that wont budge. (Upon examining the white top, I noticed that the grip mechanism was badly damaged from all the pressure I'd put into twisting and pushing it down) moving on, I got out a small saw and began taking bits of plastic off (hoping that this might disable the mechanism locking it)  but to my disbelief it still won't open (after maybe 30% of the relevant plastic was removed)