Controller full power at all times.

Gfunk

Make sure that the speed adjustment screw is set to minimum on the side (the little red one above the trigger in the Picture)

Make sure it is the controller and not the lane, i.e. swap controllers and retest. If it turns out a lane is an issue either your powerbase has a problem or you have a short in the set up such as metal on the track or only one set of criss-crosses

Also make sure that there is nothing wrong with the car.

If all this still indicates the controller is an issue contact your retailer where you bought it or customer care (link at the right).

I seem to vaguely remember that there were a batch of controllers that had issues at one point in the past but it could be my mind playing tricks...

• 1 year later...

Hi Jay - welcome to the forum.

You’ve probably done this already, but the first thing to do is identify the problem is the controller. I’d swap the two controllers round (use the cars on the lanes you were before) and see if the full power issue follows the controller or stays in the lane. Then I’d swap the cars and see if the problem moves with a specific car. Whatever the full power problem moves with is the problem. It could be a car or controller. Or if the problem stays in the lane, it is something in the powerbase.

If it turns out to be one of the controllers, did the problem always happen, or did it start after a while? Either way, what is probably happening is that the resistor is wired incorrectly or is damaged, causing it to act as an on-off switch. I don’t know exactly what the resistance at the start of the resistor should be, but it will be in the 45 to 70 ohm range. And then wired to full power at the end (ie 0-ish ohms). Sometimes the wiring can break at the bottom of the controller handle (or at the plug) and will short out, but that would cause full power as soon as you plug in the controller. How a two wire resistor controller should work is covered in the left hand diagram here: http://www.bscra.org.uk/control/index.htm

If this is a new set and you are hoping to get it working on Christmas Day, I’d suggest you get down to your local Scalextric retailer ASAP and buy a replacement. You should also contact Scalextric Customer Services for a replacement, but that won’t arrive before Christmas. Having a spare controller is never a bad idea.

I hope that helps.

I have the same problem with one of the controllers. My set is Scalextric Super GT christmas gift for sons...and not working corectly on christmas eve.

But i switched the wires and everythings fine.

I have the same problems when kids opened box this morning. I opened both controllers and couldn't see anything different between them. Can you give me some details on what you mean by switching wires? Thanks

Hi Snappy - Merry Christmas and welcome to the forum.

In case czi007 doesn't drop by and see your post, can I suggest you make sure everything is plugged in the right places, as per the instructions with your set. I'm guessng that is what czi007 did. If that doesn't help, run through the trouble-shooting steps I jotted down above, which I'll copy here:

You’ve probably done this already, but the first thing to do is identify the problem is the controller. I’d swap the two controllers round (use the cars on the lanes you were before) and see if the full power issue follows the controller or stays in the lane. Then I’d swap the cars and see if the problem moves with a specific car. Whatever the full power problem moves with is the problem. It could be a car or controller. Or if the problem stays in the lane, it is something in the powerbase.

Whether it turns out to be controller, car or powerbase - lt us know. We might be able to help. However, I would recommend getting in touch with Customer Services on Thursday. I wouldn't think it's a common problem to have the controller wired incorrectly, but you never know...

What set do you have, by the way? That might help us fine-tune any advice here.

Hi Snappy - Merry Christmas and welcome to the forum.

In case czi007 doesn't drop by and see your post, can I suggest you make sure everything is plugged in the right places, as per the instructions with your set. I'm guessng that is what czi007 did. If that doesn't help, run through the trouble-shooting steps I jotted down above, which I'll copy here:

Whether it turns out to be controller, car or powerbase - lt us know. We might be able to help. However, I would recommend getting in touch with Customer Services on Thursday. I wouldn't think it's a common problem to have the controller wired incorrectly, but you never know...

What set do you have, by the way? That might help us fine-tune any advice here.

Thanks I have had scalextric since the 70s I had done your trouble shoot and it's definitely a rheostat 

Problem. So they could play this morning I used an old controller which I snipped off old plug and soldered on 

The one from duff controller. Only problem is the old controller doesn't have the limiter.

I'll give CS a call but I've probably voided any warranty.

Definitely give Customer Services a call tomorrow and see if they can send you out a new controller asap. It might be very helpful to let them know what set the controller came in (including the numbers on the sticker near the barcode of the side of the box) and tell them there have been a couple of other similar reports here over Christmas.

• 3 years later...

Hi

we have a brand new scalextrix given to our son as a gift with no receipt. But we’ve assembled it and one of the tracks power is on constantly. As soon as you put car on it it shoots off. Could even be dangerous as constant electricity. Would be very grateful if anyone has any ideas what the issue is and how to fix it ? It’s not the car or the controller. It’s brand new did this from the first time but we have no receipt :(

Thanks so much !