Teaser

LCDR

Paul Isles has written an great article in the latest Collector entitled "What lies ahead" about the work of Hornby's research and development team which includes a number of exceedingly obscure clues to future developments. He will I am sure be delighted to hear that it has truely got me stumped.

There are seven pictures that reputedly contain 'clues', these are -

- a LB&CR drawing title block

- an air brake reservoir

- a tender tank filler lod

- the rear coal rails of a tender or bunker

- the top of a GWR vacuum pipe upstand

- a blurred view along the footplate of a green locomotive with a line of rivets in the distance

- a brown painted non-corridor carriage (awaiting restoration).

He also tantalisingly states that the 2019 new products will probably contain ten items.

Three are inspired by things introduced in the 2016 range, two are retooled replacements for existing items in the range, three accompany an item already mentioned, and two are part of a plan that has already resulted in one item being produced and brought to market.

Well done Paul!

One guess - a SR (converted LB&SCR) push-pull set to accompany the H, but I may well be miles off the mark.

The  LN and Q are not high on my wishlist either, despite they being Southern. They were rare visitors to the Eastern Section, after WW2 the LN only appeared when a couple were hauled to Ashford for scrapping. (It was a regular before WW2 but after the Invastion of France they were sent away to the West never to return. ) And the Q only ever worked a Summer only / Saturday only excursion from Victoria to Sheerness on Sea.

A G5 would be more interesting in that I do have a bit of a soft spot for North Eastern trains. It would make a nice accompaniment to my Q6 and J72 (and B1, V2, L1, J39 etc.) .

I am firmly an East Coast person!

Archived