Flying Scotsman Problems.

johnnydean1

I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong thread.

I got the Flying Scotsman train set for Christmas and was very disappointed when it didn't work properly.
It will go backwards OK but it won't go forwards when the Tender is attached.

The

engine itself will go forwards but when it's attached to the Tender it stops almost immediatly.

It's going back to Amazon on Friday unless I can sort it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi jonnydean1,

Are you sure it is a live steam Flying Scotsman, If not you should make a post in the general section of the forum.

If it is a live steam version then the tender is not detachable as it contains the boiler for heating the water

and I suggest you make a posting on the http://www.00livesteam.com forum where you can get advice on running problems.

Most definitely NOT a live steam version. It would appear that the two prongs on the loco to tender coupling are shorting out. GENTLEY make sure they are separated and it should cure the problem. ALso check that your track is laid correctly and that there

are no obvious gaps or faults. I doubt it is a fault with the loco.

On closer inspection of the engine there appears to be four prongs two of which make contact
with a tiny metal plate on the tender causing a short, which to me is a design fault as i would expect this set to work out the box with no intervention from

me.How ever do i request a refund ? and whats the purpose of these prongs in this particular set ?

The majority if not all Hornbys steam tender locos have this feature and they are desinged to improve pick up. you

have to be careful in handling them as they can easily be bent, it is all part and parcel of owning a model railway. If I were you I would cut them off. The ones UNDER the bar should never be tampered with.

• 3 months later...

Archived