Another use for Micro Scalextric

Tony57

Hi

I would like to propose another use for the micro scalextric system, being a lover of moving traffic on my model railway could the developers concider making it into a new road traffic system like the old Triang Minic Motorway and Tyco US Trucking.systems from the past. The track is the the same as both Tyco and Auroa with very little work and cost the current track could be changed in to a working two way roadway. 

As for vehicals with the linkup the Oxford Diecast, (and with Corgi no longer producing trackside) there are a number of vehicals Oxford make that are just right to be used on a new system, with a development of a direct replacement motorised chassic, however I would not use the current brush set up as used on the micro cars but would use a tyco type guide and pickup guide bar. 

With some cooperation with the train section other road and rail sections could be developed, like level crossings, train tracks running down the center of the road etc.

Given Micro only has 1 curve radius plus a hairpin curve you might find it hard making it look just right.

The concept of using slot cars to enhance train or scenic laypouts is not new, as you said.

A lot of people simply use a router to make their own "streets" since the cars seldom go fast and don't need magnets.

Hi

In response both Tyco and Minic motorway have one main 90 degree curve in all sets produced, there is a rare outer curve, a half curve and a 30 degree curve for use with the operating roundabout in Minic Motorways and a half curve in Tyco.

Personally i think the toy industry is missing an opportunity in not making a working street set up for youngsters and adults who are not fussed about having guide slots in their roads.

Going by the reports of the numbers watching Dave L Minic Motorway and Rail layout at the Great electric Train Show, shows there maybe an interest in just such a modern system. If  a motorised chassic could be developed to directly replace a non motorised one in a select group of metel body vehicles, it would be more cost effective than trying to make from scratch

Archived