Jouef old connector

Guest Chrissaf

Hello everyone,

I have a old Jouef train set with a battery powered "Contacteur Inverseur" (ref. 9883). However I do believe it is damaged and although I did find some on sale, I would like to know whether it is possible to update the set to a newer standard. Would the locomotive still work if, for instance, I acquire a new set of tracks and power supply? Any recommended action? I'm a newbie on this and would really appreciate some help!

Thank you!

Hi VMantus

On my Hornby/Peco/Bachmann 12v DC layout, powered by a DC lab supply unit driving Chinese motor speed controllers, I run

Jouef 8269 SNCF 141 P

Jouef 8355 SNCF 231 K

Jouef 8611 SNCF Class RTG Turbotrain, Power Unit (motorised)

and locos from 25 other manufacturers without a problem.

If your locos are 12V DC then you will be fine running them on "other" 12v DC layouts.

I would concur with that.

Jouef, Lima and similar makes are all generally compatible with 12V DC, I have run Triang, Hornby, Lima, Bachmann, Jouef, Fleishmann, and numerous other makes including a few I built myself all on the same power controllers which are rated at 12 - 15v DC controlled output.

Older trains (made before about 1975) tend to demand a bit more power than modern ones so some of the cheap controllers sold with modern train sets don't like them, and may cut out occasionally, but any of the purpose-built transformer/controller units such as H&M and Gaugemaster will be ideal.

Word of caution. Older pre-owned controllers powered from domestic mains supply should be tested by an electrician before use to ensure that the insulation is still safe .

This had two wires from the controller to three terminals on the connector rail and you simply changed the feed from the battery controller to reverse the train. There was no permanent connection. The loco will probably have a plastic motor which may suddenly disintegrate as the plastic gets very brittle with age, or a large can motor which will last forever and run on hardly any power whatsoever. It will run with any modern 12v track and power supply but will probably reach its top speed very quickly. Both motors were specially designed to run on low battery power and take much less power than the equivalent UK trains made at the time. Your Jouef curved rails which will be 12.75inches radius are probably warped, not many of the early ones have kept the correct curvature, They warp easily and straighten out slightly but this is enough to prevent them making a proper circle. 

out of interest which set is it? Is it the diesel shunter with 3 wagons? 

/media/tinymce_upload/d943394bca4f205aad53b5ab0a4c0fae.jpg

As you can see, no switch. Just change the battery leads as shown. Low tech for a cheap battery controller. No speed control whatsoever. This is from a Playcraft catalogue, the third edition. I have come across one or two of these rails but they were too warped to use and no use to me anyway so went for recycling. 

Further to my guess above here is a link to one on eBay the underside pictures of which show it to be a simple reversing switch with place for batteries by the look of it. The resistor seems to provide for half speed. I.e.100-50-0-50-100 according to online research. 

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/JOUEF-9883-883-CONTACTEUR-INVERSEUR-DE-SENS-DE-MARCHE-A-PILES-EN-BOITE-HO-/262144790595

You could replace it with a simple DPDT centre off switch wired as a cross over. Attached to a battery holder.

This link shows how it assembles to the batteries (3 x 4.5 volt flat batteries if you can still get them) and to the track.

http://www.train-jouet.com/catalogues/HO-Jouef/JOUEF-PLANS-75/P-04.jpg

Or just go for a simple replacement mains powered DC controller.

Rob

Archived