Spare parts please!

woodcote

I've always appreciated the spare parts provided by Scalextric to keep my favourite racing cars running, but have noticed there are no spares for new models from the past couple of years.

For those of us who buy cars to race, I'd like to see the following parts available for each car or range of cars:

Essentials list

1. Rear axle assembly - axle, gear, bushings & wheels
  2. Pinion gear (sidewinder and inline versions)
  3. Motor
  4. Guide blade and braid plates

'Would be very useful' list

1. Detailing parts - wing mirrors, aerials, exhaust pipes etc
  2. Rear wing
  3. Flexible rear wing
  4. Glass parts - winscreen & windows, headlight & rear light lenses
  5. Underpan and front axle

None of these needs to be painted - that could be left up to us. So instead of producing wheels to perfectly match every single model, there could be a rear axle assembly for GT cars, another for BTCC cars, one for Trans-Am cars etc - the main issue would be the wheel size.

I'd like a window set and interior be made available for the BMW Z4.

I bought a demon tweeks Z4 that had been split from a set - the retailer pictured the car with windows and an interior (using Scalextric promo pictures- same pics as used to advertise the set)  but supplied with the blacked out windows - it looks wrong alongside my other Z4s.

Why do Scalextric advertise their cars (in the sets) as high detail and picture them in promo material with windows and interiors but then supply them with blacked out windows and no interior? It's a con

I think producing spare windows sets for all cars would be great. They can get cracked or broken if raced hard and yes, they could be used to upgrade the current 'super resistant' set cars that have the blacked-out windows.

By the way, I think 'con' is really a bit strong... Only the ARC Pro set is advertised as having High Detail cars and it seems to have become standard for all other sets to have cars with the blacked-out windows. I also saw the pre-release pictures you mentioned at Jadlam Racing Ltd - I assumed they were a mistake. If you bought those cars and don't want them, it's well within your consumer rights to return them for a full discount, a replacement or store credit. I don't think Scalextric or Jadlam are out to deceive anyone - in fact they both do great things to meet our slot car needs and desires 😀

By the way, I think 'con' is really a bit strong... Only the ARC Pro set is advertised as having High Detail cars

I don't think 'con' is too strong at all - it's misrepresentation plain and simple

and the ARC Pro set is supplied with cars with blacked out windows - despite the cars being pictured in the original promo material as having windows and interiors  - although i see they have now dropped the 'High Detail' from the set spec and replaced with 'Super Resistant' which of course they're not - well not in the way 'Super Resistant' cars originally were (with a single moulding for body and windows)

No -  I decided to keep it in the hope that I might find some windows and an interior for it - i love the paint job.

It is quicker than my other 2 Z4s - probably due to a lower weight as a result of no interior.....but I'd like it to have windows and an interior - it looks a bit odd alongside the other 2

Oh, okay.

I certainly share with you the wish that no Scalextric car needs to come with blacked-out windows. As you say, they are not 'proper' super-resistant like the old Porsche 997s and Gallardos, which were superb cars for digital racing and had a single-piece body with windows and lights painted on - almost indestructible.

The windows and roof pillars of the current 'super-resistant' cars don't seem any more robust that the high detail version. I suspect Scalextric might sell more sets to people wanting just the cars if they were all high detail - so probably a false economy if that's the reason for the different windows...

Having said that, I did treat myself to the BTCC set cars. I couldn't resist 😉

Archived