Pair of class 20's

2e0dtoeric

Has any manufacturer made pairs of Class 20 dismals that can be run nose-to-nose, as one DCC loco - (as per real life) - both engines having pick-ups and motors, but plugged together by a 4-wire harness, so that one DCC decoder can run both motors?

It would be nicer still if they had a proper sound chip, but TTS will serve.

Hi, 

Surely it would be better to match two class 20s that each have a decoder. This way you could use them independantly, it would make it easier for cleaning and maintenance and should one of the 20s fail, as they did from time to time in real life, you would still have one in operation.

But should still go ahead with permanently coupling your locos, you would need to know and understand what loading you can put on your decoder. I,m referring to amperage output and current draw from two motors. 

I occasionally run double headers but they are matched under the same address (usually the same model from the same manufacturer). Each loco will be fine tuned so that they are not working against each other when paired. Although the two loco have the same motors, it doesn't mean they are forced to perform the same.

The Lenz system that I operate, allows for double heading or Multi Unit/Consist, where each loco retains its individual address but once coupled can run under a new address within MU/Consist function and operate as one unit. Very useful for banking situations.

Bill

I wired both our Wrenn (ex Hornby Dublo) EE type 1s, nose to nose, so they shared pickups. they proved a very reliable combo.

My favourite diesel locos I think!

/media/tinymce_upload/6b6f2192179aac4184e75fde14a853a5.jpg

Great phot! what more could an English Electric fan want?. Two class 20s, semapohore signals and a mechanical box.

Tribute to the English Electric company that these and class 37s some fifity years on are frequenting network still today.

If I had a favourite EE machine, it would be a 40 but I do like them all anyway.

Bill

There was trackwork taking place but not too actively at the time the picture was taken, apart from a little shovel work 'between trains'. This was a Barrow Hill to Toton coal train mostly 21 ton coal hoppers, just coming on to the up 'Old Road' from the up goods. In those days it was common to have exposed sleepers and a TSR (Temporary Speed Restriction) during the week between sets of weekend work, especially on secondary routes like this. A gang of men might be there to move some ballast around manually, but a big drop of ballast and a run through with a tamping machine would occur at night or at weekends in possession. The work taking place was in the run up to the resignalling when Whittington box would close and control pass to Sheffield PSB.

Ironically what is left of this area is in the throes of resignalling yet again with Sheffield to close and control being divided between Derby (East Midlands ROC)  and York (ECML ROC).

Nowadays rhere is much greater emphasis on 'hand back at line speed' and there is all sorts of kit designed to achieve it. Ballast Regulators, Consolidators and similar bits of big yellow plant descending in the worksite like Spitfires on a Dornier , but I can hark back to days when a train of Sealions, (or Dogfish) and a Shark was as good as it got. Then a fortnight or so of 20mph while the track settled in with occasional nightly visits of ballast trains to top up the ballast. Fishtail board, C board and T board marks the spot! During the day gangs of men with shovels and sighting boards would try and tidy up the 'top'. In those days you could cycle along the cess, but I doubt it would be possible now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived