Excessive Braking Effect

I realize this is an old thread, but I came here to ask this same question after trying my new set for the first time yesterday. It really feels like the cars brake either by reversing the motor as they do in race centers with a third controller wire and/or the effect of the traction magnets. To me it seems the brake button really is only used to signal pit stops to ARC. I don't mind that, to be honest. I'm so accustomed to using just the throttle to drive / brake all these years I kind of prefer it. I wired my home HO track with three wires and the strong magnet cares stopped abruptly no matter what. It was fun with the non-magnet and T Jet cars.

The problem with ARC is that the brake button is all or nothing, this isn't great as it doesn't allow adjustment between cars. I usually have to set my brakes up differently between cars.

If you look at high level digital racing and say slot.it system, it does allow for progressive braking and the technology available at that level isn't something that is available on the mass market even from slot.it. Interestingly enough I believe Scalextric had a very crude version in analogue form on the expensive 1/24 with braking systems.

It would be a great move if Scalextric actually allowed full control of brakes. Interestingly you can buy Scalextric digital Tru speed controllers that give you more control as well as analogue DS controllers that plug straight into the old jack power bases achieving a brake. These don't work with ARC though.

The truspeed controllers actually apply the brakes and then it progressively releases them the more expensive controllers give you even more control on throttle and brake refinement.

It is important I think that Scalextric do improve ARC pro, it is supposed to be there serious top of the range product. Whilst it has a lot of features it could do with more development.

The downside of digital top level racing is that it is very expensive and that is where I think it struggles against analogue.