Ilfracombe club model railway show

Go_West

just put some video on youtube of yeasterdays show 3 engines had problems 1 A4 Golden F no steam bad connection or dead heater, Railmotor ran but no control as a wire to the servo motor had come off and the W class lost a metal tyre but the rest ran fine. the video starst with Mallard then Flying S as these are the 2 engines that started this hobby then comes some of my rebuilds and Hornby built locos.

There are other layouts to see but take special attention to the 00 gauge bikes this chap i have meet before and buils stuff out of this world a vewry clever chap.

had load od interest in live steam and lots of questions most people did not beleive that with out heat and water they dont go some think the water is just to make the styeam.

I said to the person with the bike display that she wasn't peddling and they said it was an electric bike I have looked and you can buy the kit of parts for about £200 I think its magna track or the like.

as for my track it needs rebuild as it has a lot of faults I think the Mdf dont like the damp in the shed.would ply wood be a better bet?

In my first (loft) layout I tried four test tops, Plywood, mdf, chipboard (weetabix) and sundeala. Each had their plusses and minuses and I settled upon plywood as my forever top.

I also tried various board coverings including cork, Wickes laminated flooring underlay (green textured soft hardboard-ish) and playing card table green biaze. Again each had merit but upon applying ballast most benefits disappearred.

Now I have bare topped thick plywood boards on a ‘normal’ softwood frame. The next one will use a plywood ‘eggbox’ frame style, again with a thick plywood top.

I do like HFM’s pre-laid ballast effects though and having seen this clean and tidy look on other layouts may adopt the idea In lieu of mega-scenic work.

Rob

It's funny but last night I thought that's something ive not seen is a line side fire on a layout don't know just how you would construct a couple of blokes banging away at an embankmen. My father told me of a farmer near Romford that planted a corn field and most years it would catch fire in the days of steam then he would make a claim against the railway. When the steam stopped running and it was an all electric line he sold the field and it was turned into a sports field, l think it's still a sports field now.

Archived